VTDigger is a nationally-recognized, born-digital nonprofit news organization. We are known for our award-winning investigative reporting and nitty-gritty daily coverage of local and state news.
At a time when the commercial local news industry is failing, VTDigger is one of a handful of nonprofit news organizations that has developed a model of sustainable funding for local journalism. The organization has grown quickly in just a decade, becoming the go-to source of news for the state of Vermont. For more about how VTDigger has become the largest news operation in Vermont, click here.
Fast facts: We have 700,000 unique readers a month on average, 26 employees, and a budget of $2 million a year.
We are looking for a managing editor with proven experience to oversee VTDigger's daily operations. The managing editor will lead a team of journalists to produce world-class journalism with the goal of expanding our relevance, impact and reach.
A managing editor combines the innovativeness of a writer with the practical focus of an operations manager. We expect excellent organizational and leadership skills as well as a unique problem-solving ability.
You will report only to the editor-in-chief and supervise writers, editors and other staff.
This Role Is a Fit If
- Motivating journalists to do their best work gives you great satisfaction.
- You have exceptional editing skills and you set high standards.
- You enjoy taking responsibility for ensuring everyone in the newsroom is functioning at a high level.
- Adapting to the changing pressures of the newsroom is second nature.
- Fearless pursuit of stories is in your DNA. Fairness is one of your core values and you have keen news discernment.
- You are an organized systems thinker who delegates tasks effectively. You know how to set targets and achieve results that have lasting impact.
- Every day you ask yourself: What's next? What stories are we missing? Who are we missing? You are full of ideas and satisfying the readers' need for information and news is central to your thinking.
- You are a team builder who works collaboratively with others to solve problems, achieve common goals and positive results. You are open with other team members and express disagreement constructively.
- You are a very effective communicator both verbally and in writing. You listen intently to others and value others' opinions. You can also negotiate and persuade. Your default is to promptly and openly share information and ideas with others throughout the organization as appropriate.
- Plan and manage all daily operations
- Hire, coach and supervise personnel
- Collaborate with editor in chief to determine content and topics
- Plan and approve assignments for writers and editors
- Control schedules and enforce deadlines
- Oversee editing and evaluate copy for compliance with policies, style and tone
- Resolve issues as they arise
We’re excited for a leader who can expertly manage a mission-driven newsroom.
- You report to Executive Director Anne Galloway
- You will manage four editors and a data reporter.
Location: Montpelier, Vermont
Start date: January 2021
Compensation: Highly competitive
We are working remotely during Covid, but our offices are based in the state capital of Montpelier, a charming New England town located in Central Vermont near world class alpine and nordic ski areas, extensive biking and hiking trails, lakes and rivers. The region has excellent schools, several local bookstores, and coffee and pastry shops.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please complete the online application. Submit by 11:59 EST Dec. 15.