The Hustle is a fast-growing digital media company that provides smart business insights and analysis to an entrepreneurial-minded audience.
We're changing how media companies build brand loyalty. And as one of our early hires, you will help us chart the course.
We're looking for an enthusiastic leader to help write and edit our popular daily email, and deepen our connection with our 1.5 million subscribers.
We're seeking an experienced editor who can identify the day's most interesting business/tech stories and work with colleagues to produce new forms of content that delight our audience.
The ideal candidate will be an adaptable self-starter who can help us perfect the formula for our daily newsletter based on the interests of our current audience and the potential for growing a wider, more diverse readership.
Candidates should have experience in an editorial leadership role, with a flair for writing and polishing copy and a track record of increasing reader engagement.
This position requires someone with strong critical thinking skills and an experimental mindset who defaults to optimism, one of our company's key values.
Candidates must be strong communicators, organized, and capable of balancing varied responsibilities, including planning and editing daily stories, writing short and mid-size features, and creating new story forms that keep our readers coming back.
- Lead the curation of the most interesting daily business news, ensuring proper story selection based on what resonates with readers
- Oversee weekday email editorial operations, including experimenting with new content, writing and editing stories, and engaging and communicating with readers
- Work with our growth and product teams to survey readers, learn the preferences of our existing audience, and help develop new audiences
- Use insights gleaned from studying our audience to take a leading role in strategizing how we shape the daily email to energize existing subscribers and attract new subscribers
- Collaborate with teams across the organization to effectively promote The Hustle’s other products, including its subscription trends service and its events business, in the daily email
- Help maintain a strategic content calendar for the daily email to ensure alignment across the company
- Be willing to work five nights a week, including Sundays, to meet our production schedule
Characteristics of an Ideal Candidate
- Experience writing, editing, and growing the readership of email newsletters
- A creative, reader-first approach to storytelling
- A willingness to take risk and experiment to meet audience needs
- Demonstrated experience increasing reader engagement
- A proven ability to identify smart, entertaining story angles that appeal to a highly educated audience
- Proven ability to move fast and succeed under daily deadlines
About the Hustle
We've built our business through three primary services:
The Daily, our witty, no-nonsense weekday email, and The Sunday, our long-form Sunday newsletter, which deliver smart takes on business and tech news to more than 1 million loyal subscribers. We also have a thriving events business that connects an entrepreneurial-minded audience with the world's most successful business founders.
Last year we introduced a subscription email service, Trends, that highlights emerging business trends and how entrepreneurs can capitalize on them.
We're also experimenting with other digital products to meet our audience's needs.
Salary & Benefits
- Competitive pay
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- 401(k) plan
- Flexible Spending Account
- Commuter benefits
- Monthly book stipend
- Weekly team lunches
- Team happy hours and outings
- A chance to help create and shape indispensable editorial products and services that serve a global audience
What We Need From You
If this sounds like a place you could make your mark, please submit a resume and 3 samples of your best written work. Your application should include a cover letter describing what makes you a good fit for this position and 2-3 ideas for helping us increase reader engagement.
We encourage applications from candidates who have succeeded in a startup environment and we welcome candidates from non-traditional backgrounds, with experience outside of journalism. We're also open to candidates with different levels of experience. For us, having a person with the right mindset and temperament is most important.
We are committed to diversity and strongly encourage people from underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people, and individuals with disabilities.
*Candidates must be legally eligible to work in the United States to be considered for this role