Quick Take: Axios is a new digital media company that gets you smarter, faster with news that matters. We're hiring a Managing Editor to help oversee our coverage and support our growing newsroom.
Why it Matters
In just three years, Axios has built a newsroom of more than 55 talented journalists committed to providing our readers the most trustworthy information in the most efficient way possible. Reporting to our Executive Editor, the Managing Editor, will play a critical role with the other managing editors in sharpening our news coverage, supporting our talent and helping steer Axios to new successes in the future as we continue on this incredible growth trajectory.
The Managing Editor, will have the following responsibilities:
- Help oversee deeply reported projects on multiple platforms including newsletters, web site, video, podcasts and social media, including a new long-term project Axios is launching on systemic racism (see more here)
- Help oversee daily coverage of news, including through our daily and weekly newsletters, and conceive larger data-driven and analytical stories putting this fast-changing world into context for readers
- Work closely with the other editors and reporters on other topics such as systemic racism, business and politics to help cover stories that cross beats
- In addition to editing, this person will occasionally report and write stories
- Coordinate with Axios’s breaking newsdesk to ensure comprehensive coverage of the news of the day
- Likely manage a team of 3-5 journalists
Ideal candidates will embody an entrepreneurial spirit, a passion for Axios’ mission and have the following skills:
- Editing experience in a fast-paced news environment
- Demonstrated experience conceptualizing big ideas and seeing them through.
- Strong writing and editing skills for online, newsletters and ability to translate stories to other platforms such as video and audio.
- Strong knowledge of politics, business and race and how they intersect
- Experience working across teams to produce quality content
- Demonstrated knowledge of digital and social media landscape
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Ability to assign and manage multiple stories at once
- Strong management skills to oversee and support a team of journalists
- Competitive salary
- Health insurance (100% paid for individuals, 75% for families)
- Primary caregiver 12-week paid leave
- Generous vacation policy, plus company holidays
- Company equity
- Commuter and cell phone benefit
- A commitment to an open, inclusive, and diverse work culture
- Annual learning and development stipend