GOBankingRates, ConsumerTrack’s content platform, is a personal finance website that provides readers with quality content on money, investing and banking trends, among other financial topics. We empower our readers to make smart decisions on their lifelong journey to financial independence. Our content, studies and experts have been featured in top-tier media outlets — CBS News, TIME, LA Times, The New York Times, Chicago Tribune, HuffPost, MSN, Associated Press and many more.
ConsumerTrack is seeking a motivated Lead Editor to be an editorial leader on GoBankingRates, and to manage a team of editors, social media specialists and writers. The candidate should have a passion for editorial operations, social media strategy and data-driven content and decision-making. They must be confident leading a diverse team of editors and writers, ensuring that the content adheres to GBR’s voice and standards. Managing a team must come as naturally as brainstorming and editing.
The ideal candidate has a strong foundation in digital media, as well as confidence in their understanding of personal finance. This editor will be able to jump from developing social media strategy to building new newsletters to leading SEO content to line-editing a personal finance story to pitching new Social Security story ideas, among other tasks. They’ll be comfortable diving into the data when editing long, research-based studies – and responding to what the data tells us is the right editorial decision.
While they don’t need to know everything about money, this Editor will have a solid background in personal finance and/or picking up similarly niche topics and getting to know them inside and out. More importantly, they will know how to make complex and intimidating topics engaging and approachable, and be able to produce content that provides a great reader experience.
A positive attitude, a collaborative spirit, and a passion for editing are musts. The ideal candidate has an ingrained sense of urgency, strong news judgment, polished editing skills, a knack for developing young talent, a relentless drive to win, and a sense of fun. Also, the ideal candidate will have the desire to sign up for large goals and then work hard to attain those goals.
This role will report directly to the Vice President of Content.
The ideal candidate will be responsible for
- Managing, mentoring, and growing a team of editors, writers, and social media specialists.
- Delivering strong content across broad finance verticals -- at GBR we follow the whole money journey, crossing demographics and traditional lifestyle verticals.
- Lead social media efforts and quickly build a growing user base using various social media strategies
- Lead data-based journalism efforts by leading a team to build industry-leading differentiated content around unique insights from our own research team.
- Lead SEO content/writing efforts for content volume and user and traffic growth working closely with our SEO team.
- Working closely with upper management to understand our audience and the data to establish goals and a path to exceed them
- Using analytics to assess content strategy and make results-driven decisions
- Spotting unique angles on trending stories, working with senior managers and editors to ensure timely and high-quality execution of those stories
- Working with senior managers to implement and develop process and workflow best practices
- Contributing to the voice of GBR by defining quality standards and regularly providing feedback and training sessions for our writers and editors.
- BA/BS from a four-year accredited university or college, preferably with a degree in Journalism, and/or a similar field – or similar equivalent experience
- At least 5 years of editorial experience for an online publication is a must
- At least 2 years as a manager of editors and/or writers
- Experience using analytics tools to make editorial decisions.
- You’re an idea generator who can think of new, fresh ways to package content and is used to regularly pitching story ideas.
- You’re an excellent project manager with great time management and strong organizational and people skills, plus strong attention to detail.
What have we done in response to COVID-19? ConsumerTrack is committed to being part of the solution - continuing our business and looking for innovative ways to support our clients, partners, and TEAM virtually. Plus, we’ve reinvented the ways in which we recognize, celebrate, and connect with each other and our purpose to keep our culture strong!
- Competitive salary with excellent growth opportunity; we pride ourselves in having a team that exudes leadership, high initiative, creativity and passion.
- Awesome medical, dental and vision plans with heavy employer contribution
- Paid maternity leave and paternity leave programs
- Paid vacation, sick days and holidays
- Flex time & option to WFH for the foreseeable future
- Option to work from an office (if you need to get away!)
- Company funding for outside classes and conferences to help you improve your skills
- Contribution to student loan debt payments after the first year of employment
- 401(k) -- employees can start contributing immediately. After the first year, CTI matches your contribution up to 4% of your salary
- Weekly fitness and yoga classes
- Monthly virtual team activities to help you stay connected!
We are an equal-opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.