WELL+GOOD: Creating a culture and community of wellness.
Trusted, influential, and famously trend-setting, Well+Good defines and demystifies wellness for a growing global community. Well+Good creates a world where wellness is stylish, achievable, and funconnecting readers with smart, simple ways to add wellness to their lives.
We are looking for a Health Writer to help us grow our brand in this fast-paced writing and reporting role. The Health Writer will have strong reporting chopsleveraging expert intel, lived experiences, and credible research to inform our audience about the health issues that most affect them, with an emphasis on removing stigma around taboo topics. While writing tasks will be your primary focus, you’ll also be called upon for wide-ranging projects and developments, including working with audience development, social, and video teams in myriad ways.
A big vision calls for a big job. As we grow, our need for a Health Writer grows with us.
Leaf Group is a house of brands, creating and cultivating digital-first companies in growing lifestyle categories: Fitness & Wellness (Well+Good, Livestrong.com); Home & Decor (Hunker, Society6, Deny Designs), and Art & Design (Saatchi Art, The Other Art Fair). Additionally, we have performance-focused brands in key categories such as Travel, Pets, and DIY (OnlyInYourState, Cuteness, eHow). Our media and marketplace brands are authentic and authoritative, reaching a large and growing passionate audience.
We work in a fun, collaborative environment that is diverse, adventurous, and open-minded. We look for proactive, accountable people focused on continuous learning and growth to push themselves and our businesses forward. Check us out here.
You’ll Report To: Health Director
A typical day as a Health Writer might include:
- Writing and/or updating 2-4 stories daily
- Brainstorming and pitching both timely stories with a news peg as well as service-driven evergreen stories
- Gathering information and conducting research on various health topics to ensure your articles are accurate and backed by the most reliable, up-to-date information
- Finding, interviewing, and developing relationships with a diverse group of health experts
- Working closely with the health director to help them create and update articles
- Collaborating and coordinating with the Audience Development Team to ensure your articles are promoted across channelsincluding social media, email newsletters and referral platformsin effective and engaging ways
- Keeping your finger on the pulse of the health and wellness worlds in order to stay abreast of promising new developments and trends
You’ll be successful if you are passionate about creating high-quality, service-driven content that helps readers at all stages of their health journeys. The Health Writer is responsible for pitching, writing, and revising stories on various health, nutrition and wellness topics. Information-gathering and interviewing is at the heart of this position: We need someone who knows how to dig and find authoritative primary sources to ensure our content is accurate, clear, and useful.
What You Have
- 2-4 years writing experience for a digital health or lifestyle publication
- Experience writing about health and science studies (and the ability to translate study-speak into useful takeaways the average reader can understand)
- Experience finding and interviewing health experts
- An interest and commitment to writing and reporting on health disparities
- Solid editorial instinctsyou have a sense of which health stories *need* to be covered (and how to do so in a new, interesting way)
- Strong commitment to responsible health reporting
- Impeccable writing and revising skills
- Ability and willingness to accept and implement constructive feedback on assignments, and an eager attitude toward learning from top editors
- A working knowledge of SEO best practices
- Ability to prioritize and manage your time productively
- An interest in helping people from all backgrounds live their healthiest, happiest lives
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- We’re casual and informal but we work hard and work responsibly. Personal accountability goes a long way. We believe we are the change.
What We Have
- Among Comparably’s 2020 Best CEOs for Diversity and Best CEOs for Women
- eHow is the 2019 & 2020 People’s Choice and official Webby Winner for Social Video/How To-DIY
- OnlyInYourState is ranked the #3 Travel and Information Site (ComScore)
- Well+Good is the 2019 People’s Choice winner of the Webby’s Award for Best Lifestyle Brand
- Leaf Group is among TalentDesk’s 2019 Best Companies To Work For
- Leaf Group is among the 2019 Built In LA Best Companies To Work For
- Well+Good is the 2018 winner of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Company Award
- MyPlate is the 2018 winner of the Webby Award for Best Design
- Winner of the 2017 Best Company for Diversity award Comparably
- Competitive compensation and benefits packages (i.e., Medical, Dental, Vision, FSA, 401K)
- Paid-to-play vacation rewards
- Discretionary unlimited vacation time
- Employee discounts for Saatchi Art, Society6, and Deny Designs
Leaf Group is a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace that reflects our customers and the world we live in. We encourage people from all backgrounds, ages, abilities, and experiences to apply for our roles. Leaf Group is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy or caregiver status, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
If the Leaf Group Talent Acquisition department, or any current company employee, receives an unsolicited resume from a third party recruiting agency and Leaf Group does not have a signed Agency Agreement active, Leaf Group will not be deemed liable to pay a placement fee. The unsolicited resume will be considered a gift and can be considered for our recruitment efforts.