Obesity has become a global epidemic; in the UK, we spend £9 billion a year alone on diseases like type 2 diabetes (that’s 10% of the NHS budget). What’s shocking is most of this is preventable – through sustained lifestyle and habit change.
Enter Second Nature.
We’re here to help people take control of their health. By bringing together behavioural science, technology, and incredible people, our grand mission is to eradicate the global epidemic of chronic lifestyle diseases once and for all.
Our digital habit change programme – delivered digitally through mobile and web apps – helps people to improve their lifestyle, lose weight, and ultimately reduce their risk for conditions such as type 2 diabetes.
We’re also one of the few consumer health brands that are also actively commissioned by the NHS (for us, it’s to help people living with type 2 diabetes).
We’re looking to bring on a full-time health education writer to join our growing team. Education is fundamental to the Second Nature programme. In this role, you’ll have the opportunity to make a positive difference to people’s lives by helping them achieve sustainable lifestyle changes through education. This involves writing online, structured educational programmes covering a range of health-related topics like nutrition, sleep, exercise, mindfulness, and habit change.
What You’ll Do
- You’ll be playing a vital role in enhancing user experience and outcomes on the programme
- This role will sit within our product team, and you’ll be reporting directly to our Programme Content Lead
- The role is multifaceted and you’ll have the opportunity to work on a variety of different projects including:
- Research: keeping abreast of the latest research in the health space and looking for opportunities to incorporate new research into the programme content
- Writing evidenced-based articles for structured 4-week educational programmes on varying topics, including nutrition, mindset, motivation, exercise, sleep, and habit formation
- Contributing to the ongoing development of our core 12-week programme, including adapting the content for different cohorts of users on the programme
- Developing learning resources in different media formats, including videos, webinars, audio recordings, quizzes, polls, and graphics, to support our written content
- Assisting with user research and iterating educational content based on feedback
- Contributing to product design processes, in particular relating to educational elements of the product
- Assisting with the development of additional programme content, including blog posts, emails, in-app copy, and PR pieces
A registered nutritionist (RNutr) or registered dietitian (RD) with excellent written English communication skills who’s willing to roll up their sleeves and get involved in all aspects of the company.
What We’re Looking For
- You have a passion for writing, with demonstrated experience in health writing (e.g. blogs, research papers, PR pieces)
- You have experience coaching clients using a holistic approach and effective behaviour change techniques
- You have a fiercely critical mindset when reading scientific journals and research
- You have exceptional written communication skills, attention to detail, and the ability to translate complicated scientific ideas into layman’s terms
- You have demonstrated experience managing a demanding workload, including outstanding organisational skills
- You are smart, ambitious, and quick to learn new skills
- You are extremely self-driven and independently fill gaps in your knowledge or skill set
- You have a base understanding of product principles and design processes
- You have experience in developing or delivering structured educational programmes, either digitally or in-person
- You have experience developing educational tools in various formats, including videos, graphics, webinars, audio, and quizzes
- You have experience using basic HTML e.g. Wordpress
- An opportunity to influence the development of the educational experience on the Second Nature programme
- Exposure to multiple elements of the development of an early-stage healthcare startup
- An exciting job at one of the first digital behavioural change programmes ever commissioned by the NHS
- Daily inspiration and exposure to lots of interesting and passionate people in our workspace that are also helping to solve important problems
- A flexible working environment, with the opportunity to be office-based or remote.