On Deck is building the university of the future.
We want to 10x the number of founders tackling the world's hardest problems.
We're starting by helping talented, ambitious people learn the skills and build the networks they need to start— or get in on the ground floor of the next great technology companies.
Today, our core offering is the On Deck Fellowship. ODF is a "founder MBA." An intensive 10-week program offering extensive expert-led curriculum, and building community around a group of experienced engineers, designers, operators, and repeat founders in the earliest stages of starting their next ventures.
Fellows from the first three cohorts (June 2019 - May 2020) have founded around 160 companies to date, and raised $96M and counting from some of the best investors in the world.
Our fourth cohort kicked off in June, and it's our best yet — with 240 exceptionally talented individuals joining to explore starting or joining their next thing.
What you’ll do:
You will create the best resource on the internet for starting a new company. You will act as conduit to the tidal wave of knowledge that passes through the Fellowship.
Every week during the On Deck Fellowship, we host 20+ hours of programming, including small intimate workshops, webinars, fireside conversations, and more — and featuring the foremost thinkers in the technology industry.
As the Fellowship grows, this is developing into a content engine like no other. A "MasterClass" for building startups.
Your role will be to synthesize this raw content, curate it, and help to create lasting resources for our community: publishing externally to a distribution list of 10,000+ subscribers, and posting internally for our community of Fellows.
As Head Writer, you will:
- develop and own the canonical guides to subjects important to our community — such as co-founder dating, ideation and idea validation, recruiting, fundraising, and more. Help us reinvent the syllabus, and create best of class learning guides crowdsourced from the already existing open materials on the web.
- have the opportunity to co-publish with some of the best minds in tech, generate editorial ideas for our online presence as appropriate and create, source and repurpose relevant content for use.
- manage the overall balance of our online content to ensure all our events and products are represented and shared appropriately.
- work closely with the team to ensure that all online content, social media and product (copy, photos, illustration, presentations) adheres to the brand guidelines and in-house standards and style.
- optimize content for SEO opportunities and identify new content opportunities that fit within our value positioning and brand messaging.
- own and manage our social media channels and website, updating the strategy and experimenting to improve these channels as acquisition tools
- work to optimize our messaging and positioning, carefully crafting copy that captures the attention of the world’s most talented individuals
- review analytics on content strategies and report on success rates of campaigns.
- coordinate online coverage for major events and announcements
Who you are:
- You love to write, absorb and share knowledge.
- You live and breathe technology and startups and are passionate about empowering founders and growing the startup community.
- You have your own personality and consistent tone to the writing.
- You’re self-driven, biased for action – ready to roll up your sleeves and think creatively.
- Thrive working under pressure, you’re organized and can multi-task, creating awesome, accurate content quickly.
- Can interact with and help manage a creative, fast-paced and fun team.
- Have experience working in a startup environment, you have solid knowledge about marketing, growth and product as relevant for startups.
- Love English grammar and have excellent English writing and communication skills honed through proven experience.
- Experience with managing content (events, publications/blogs, etc).
- Experience collecting and analysing media metrics – you can data crunch with the best of them.
What you get:This role comes with a competitive salary, stock options, and a share of carried interest in On Deck's "Runway" program and future investing initiatives, plus employee benefits including generous healthcare.
Location and start date:Our team works remotely, but you will have to be available to work on U.S. PST-friendly hours, which may be difficult from Europe or Asia.
You would start as soon as possible.