Executive Editor, The News & Observer / The Herald-Sun
McClatchy is seeking a creative, collaborative news editor to lead one of America’s best state capital news organizations -- The News & Observer (N&O), in Raleigh, NC, and its sister site The Herald-Sun, in Durham, NC.
As Executive Editor of The N&O, the person in this role will work with a talented team of journalists to reach an ever-growing and increasingly diverse audience of readers, viewers and listeners in the Triangle and across NC. The opportunity is to accelerate our digital transition, leveraging a storied brand and high-impact newsroom into a sustainable operation that produces accountability and investigative journalism, solutions-focused journalism, utility news and information, and breaking news that is first and best on the most important issues to our region and state.
The successful candidate will be a talented news leader who can draw the best work from our reporters, editors and visual journalists and drive newsroom collaboration. This person must have experience in newsroom transformation, someone able to approach the role with fresh ideas on how to serve an audience that is diverse and dynamic.
We are looking for an accomplished business leader with strong communication skills who can move quickly and creatively to drive engagement at all levels of the organization. The person in this position should be eager to collaborate with colleagues at all levels of the organization and across the McClatchy enterprise.
Success in this role will be measured by the distinctive journalism produced by the newsroom as well as audience and subscriber growth for that differentiated content. This requires a command of audience analytics and knowledge of the tactics that deliver results, as well as a desire to experiment with purpose, iterate and adjust as the news environment dictates.
The Executive Editor will serve as the face of The N&O in the community and will work to develop strong relationships and build community support that helps to bolster the organization’s place within a competitive and collaborative news ecosystem.
The person in this role will report to McClatchy’s Vice President, Local News. This person also will be a member of the North Carolina leadership team, working closely with colleagues in Raleigh and across the Southeast.
- The proven ability to lead, inspire, and convey knowledge to others and to work effectively with a wide range of colleagues in managing change.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including empathy (toward readers and staff) and a superior ear for tone.
- Comfort with a job that will be demanding, fast-paced, constantly evolving, and more outcome-oriented than task-oriented.
- Skill and versatility as an editor and a writer, including the ability to shape everything from breaking news briefs to longform pieces in a way that best serves and engages our audiences.
- Excellent news judgment and a demonstrated ability to “see the story” that is going to matter to readers and to anticipate reader interests before they exist.
- Ability to articulate and reinforce standards for ethics and professional conduct as well as journalistic excellence.
- An interest in the science of readership and engagement, and a zeal for understanding and using readership data to inform the editorial process.
- A focus on ensuring that our content and staffing represents the fullness of our community and state and the diversity of the people who live here.
- An interest in and aptitude for storytelling using a broad range of media, including the written word, video, photography, podcasts and other audio, and whatever comes next.
- The ability to solve problems, innovate and adapt in service of the primary goal, which is to produce quality journalism that reaches and engages readers and subscribers and has an impact.
- Entrepreneurial spirit focused on helping to identify and build new opportunities.
- Enthusiasm for helping to build philanthropic and community support for the journalism we do.
- Strong working knowledge of media law and ethics
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in journalism
- At least 7 years of experience as a successful leader of a newsroom or large news team
- Experience building successful teams and experimenting with purpose to better serve our local audiences.
Change is a central feature of a digital newsroom, and the next News & Observer Executive Editor must be both confident and conscientious in guiding a motivated newsroom to always keep our community’s interests at the heart of our journalism. If this is you, please apply.
McClatchy is committed to providing equal employment opportunity (EEO) for all applicants and employees. McClatchy considers all candidates without regard to basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, sexual orientation, ancestry, medical condition, family care status, pregnancy or physical disability (except where physical fitness is a valid occupational qualification), or any other basis protected by state and federal laws.