The Entertainment Writer will compose columns, news stories, and feature-length articles covering the world of entertainment, from film and music to popular culture, with flair and wit. The Writer will be an integral part of The Daily Beast’s award-winning entertainment team, composing stories that explore (in part) the intersections of popular culture with race, politics, ethnicity, justice, and identity.
The ideal candidate will have a high news metabolism and must have a deep understanding of popular culture, politicsand the intersection of the two with identity. The Writer must also have demonstrated skills to write compelling columns, profiles, and news analysis pieces.
What You Get To Do
- Write columns and news analysis pieces with a sharp perspective.
- Interview those in the world of entertainment.
- Contribute to breaking news coverage of major events in the world of entertainment.
- Assign stories and break news at the intersection of international affairs and domestic politics, always keeping an eye towards relevance for an American readership.
What You Bring To Us
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, juggling multiple projects and deadlines.
- Willingness to collaborate with other reporters, editors, and media partners.
- Strong writing skills (reporting skills a plus)
- Proven skill as a narrative writer and storyteller.
- Strong knowledge of the world of entertainment.
- A self-starter who can conceive and execute stories with impact.
- Ability to take initiative, receive constructive feedback, and work with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated capacity to work well in a team environment.
- New York City- or Los Angeles-preferred, but can be located anywhere.