Khan Academy is a nonprofit on a mission to provide a free, world-class education to anyone, anywhere. We already reach millions of students every month and are growing rapidly. We’re building a library of high-quality instructional and practice resources that empowers learners and the teachers who support them. Whether they’re studying metaphors, mitosis, Marbury v. Madison, or multivariable calculus, we want to offer students the resources to realize that they can learn anything.
About the Philanthropy Team
The Philanthropy Team is charged with raising the philanthropic funds needed to fund and sustain Khan Academy’s mission. The team raises more than $40 million annually from a variety of donors (individuals, foundations and corporations) and stewards donors towards renewed giving. To do this, the team communicates Khan Academy's mission, strategy, programs and impact to the donors whose interests align with our mission and work.
The Email Campaign Manager will manage the production and implementation of solicitation and stewardship emails for our Community and Mid-level donors. You’ll be responsible for implementing email campaigns to boost Khan Academy donor acquisition, engagement, and retention. The ideal candidate is equally comfortable crafting an effective subject line, creating compelling copy and coding emails both one-off and data triggered. You love a good A/B test as much as you love writing a compelling tagline. At the end of the day, you’ll have the satisfaction of knowing you helped bring a free, world class education to millions of learners.
- Owning the full email process from drafting and finalizing copy with stakeholders, creating campaigns in our Email Service Provider (ESP) and running the QA process for fundraising campaigns, drip campaigns, user journeys and stewardship touchpoints.
- Writing compelling conversational copy that uses storytelling (data and emotion) to convert users to supporters and connect donors to the difference they are making in the world
- Working with the Senior Manager of Community Giving on email testing strategy
Duties And Responsibilities Include, But Are Not Limited To
- Create emails people actually want to read. Yes, emails need to be clearly written, error-free, and in line with Khan Academy’s voice and brand. More importantly, they should inspire and move people to action
- Crafting compelling stories and copy from high-level messages, raw materials, interviews with Khan Academy team members or users
- Use data and audience insights to develop specialized messaging and copy for audience segments, user journeys and interactions that surprise and delight supporters
- Maintain a rigorous A/B testing strategy, working closely with the Senior Manager of Community Giving to produce tests and track results over time with the ultimate goal of increasing donation and conversion rates
- Use email templates to produce emails within ESP
- Managing our donor and non-donor email lists and suppression lists within the ESP
- Maintain and execute the Philanthropy email components of our overall marketing calendar
- Help to streamline and improve an already strong QA process
- Document email program processes and identify opportunities for improvement
- Gather data and report on KPIs, what worked, and what could be improved upon
- Mastery managing fundraising email campaigns from beginning to end
- Must have email tool experience like SalesForce Marketing
- Exceptional storytelling and copy writing skills and a passion for creating mission-driven, high-performing content
- Knowledge of HTML and CSS for email, Salesforce Marketing Cloud required and enterprise Email Service Provider(s)
- Relevant project management and production experience
- A track record of A/B testing and using data to drive decisions
- Experience applying audience insights and motivations to create compelling content that converts
- Ability to respond and adapt to editorial feedback and manage stakeholder input
- Fantastic attention to detail
- 3 to 5 years relevant experience
- Able to work up to 5 hours a week during regular business hours (Eastern Standard Time) and the rest of the role could happen outside of that (either on weekends or at night).