Slate is hiring a part-time editorial assistant in its New York office.
The assistant’s primary responsibility will be to provide administrative help to Slate’s Culture section.
There will also be an opportunity for writing and blogging, and this role will be enmeshed in the day-to-day function of the section.
Candidates must be highly organized, detail-oriented, and have a familiarity with the arts. They must also be able to work quickly, efficiently, and without much supervision. Good humor and menschiness are a big plus.
This role is part-time on staff, without benefits, and is based in Brooklyn, New York. Candidates must be able to work Friday afternoons.
• Manage administrative tasks—e.g., maintaining the section’s coverage calendar, scheduling screenings, organizing book review copies, compiling brainstorm memos
• Attend coverage and idea meetings
• Pitch stories, write, and take assignments as time allows
• Experience in online journalism preferred but not required
• A résumé
• A cover letter that includes three references
• Three clips or writing samples
• A one-paragraph pitch for an argument or analytical take on a cultural topic you think would fit for Slate. (More on pitching here.)
Slate is committed to excellence through diversity, which involves attracting talented people from diverse backgrounds and traditions. We encourage everyone to apply. If you require a reasonable accommodation during the application and selection process, please let us know. We will do what we can to meet your needs.
To apply, please send your résumé, cover letter, clips, and sample pitch to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Part-time editorial assistant” in your subject line.