Atlas Obscura seeks a talented Senior Editor/Writer to join our team.
As a lifestyle publication geared toward off-beat stories around the world through the lenses of science, history, culture, and travel, Atlas Obscura's editorial work is defined by our pursuit of stories with deep connections to specific places, on any subject that’s filled with wonder and surprise. This Senior Editor/Writer will be tasked with helping manage our workflow, editing, and writing, with a particular focus on bringing in a new, diverse group of global voices to Atlas Obscura.
You’ll edit everything from short articles to deeply reported feature stories, write stories of your own, and collaborate on a wide range of current and upcoming initiatives, including special packages.
Atlas Obscura is a remote-first company that encourages exploration, so the role only requires reliable internet access and the ability to work within the continental United States.
- Developing, assigning, and editing articles that distinguish Atlas Obscura’s journalism.
- Recruiting and commissioning from freelance writers.
- Writing 1–2 original reported stories a week.
- Managing budgets.
- Managing special projects.
- Working closely with senior editorial staff on long-term planning.
- Other editing and/or managerial responsibilities as needed.
Qualifications of the Ideal Candidate
- A minimum of seven years of experience in digital journalism, with at least five years of editing or managerial experience.
- Outstanding instincts for what makes a great story.
- Top-notch editing skills, from pre-draft coaching to line edits.
- Highly detail-oriented and organized.
- Ability to multitask on several projects and regular duties at once.
- Familiarity with content management systems and story production.
- Passion for Atlas Obscura’s mission of instilling a sense of wonder about the world.
You’ll Get Noticed If
- You've got tons of great ideas for how Atlas Obscura can cover more of the world in exciting and fresh ways.
- You have a deep bench of talented writers.
- You have a sense of humor and work well with others.
- You’re comfortable working in a remote-first environment.
Compensation is competitive and includes equity. Benefits for full-time employees include family health, dental, and vision plans and a generous vacation policy. At Atlas Obscura we believe exploration is for everyone and encourage diverse applicants. We are committed to an equitable hiring process and an inclusive work environment.
About Atlas Obscura
Atlas Obscura is an award-winning travel company founded in 2009. Widely celebrated for building the definitive, community-driven guide to the world's hidden wonders, the company also creates insightful journalism, offers unique online and in-person experiences, produces once-in-a-lifetime trips, and has published two New York Times bestselling books with more than a million copies in print. Atlas Obscura has been nominated for three National Magazine Awards, a James Beard Award, three Webby Awards, and in 2020 was named one of Inc. 5000’s fastest growing companies. Having raised a $20M Series B led by Airbnb last summer, Atlas Obscura is well-positioned for growth.
To apply, please submit a resume, cover letter, and three work samples (links or PDFs).