Rotary is a membership organization that unites people from all continents and cultures who take action to deliver real, long-term solutions to pressing issues facing our communities and the world. Each year, Rotary members expand their networks, build lasting relationships, and invest more than $200 million and 16 million volunteer hours to improve lives and create positive change in the world.
In exchange for hard work and dedication in support of Rotary’s clubs, members and other participants, and their humanitarian service projects, our employees receive competitive salaries, flexible schedules, comprehensive benefits, and job enrichment. To learn more, visit http://www.rotary.org.
Rotary’s Commitment to Diversity
As a global network that strives to build a world where people unite and take action to create lasting change, Rotary values diversity and celebrates the contributions of people of all backgrounds, regardless of their age, ethnicity, race, color, abilities, religion, socioeconomic status, culture, sex, sexual orientation, and gender identity.
The Manager, Magazines is the editor in chief responsible for overall editorial and content direction and for hiring staff, managing budgets, and reviewing and approving agreements/contracts for Rotary magazine. Serves as a key participant in implementing Rotary’s content strategy and aligning magazine content for use across Rotary’s communications channels.
Collaborates with colleagues across the organization and with senior leaders to align editorial approach with organizational goals. Ensures Rotary magazine’s content is relevant for use across the entire Rotary magazine network of 33 publications across the globe. Delivers a magazine that informs and inspires members, participants and others to be people of action. Supervises issue planning and lineups, top edits features, oversees all display copy including covers, and approves designs and layouts.
You Will Have
- Bachelor’s degree: English, communications, or journalism preferred or comparable experience
- 7+ years as a managing editor preferred
- 5+ years experience managing a team
- Experience editing English materials for international audiences
- Knowledge of a language other than English preferred
- International work experience preferred
You Are Good At
- Understanding strategic communications priorities and able to edit and craft messages to support key initiatives and opportunities.
- Understanding corporate communications in a global organization.
- Overseeing copy flow, project tracking, and other ways of maintaining a challenging schedule.
- Editing and authoring feature-length articles, short essays, and display copy.
- Maintaining contacts with top freelance writers and recruiting writers with different perspectives and from various parts of the globe.
- Creating editorial packages and collaborating with designers and illustrators on infographics that can be used across communications channels.
- Collaborating across a wide range of skill sets and disciplines.
- Understanding issues with a global perspective and working in a complex global organization.
- Inspiring and leading a creative, diverse team and cultivating new talent.
- Partnering with visual media and digital and social content experts to tell stories online and in print.
- Developing relationships with people across languages, countries, cultures, and backgrounds.
- Adapting to changing situations, anticipating needs, and understanding how to capitalize on emerging trends.
- Championing the role of a magazine as the center of a content ecosystem.
You Will Be Responsible For
- Develop and maintain the voice of the magazine and guide staff in translating Rotary initiatives into magazine features and departments
- Work with the magazine team to plan stories that support Rotary’s Action Plan, strategic goals, Rotary months, and organizational and Communications priorities
- Oversee the US$7 million budget for the Editorial Group; review, approve, and monitor expenditures from this budget
- Attend, and present at, Communications Committee meetings and regional magazine seminars
- Liaise with senior leaders, in particular incoming RI presidents
- Write, assign, and edit features as needed
- Top edit all features
- Review copy at all stages of editing, design, and production
- Lead the crafting of display copy, including covers
- Collaborate with the art director on layouts and cover image
- Make pacing decisions and approve final page allocations for features
- Partner with the Digital Content team to oversee the production of the digital edition
- Work with the Web, Social Media, and Visual Media teams to align messages, enhance storytelling, and collaborate with the Communications group to foster consistency of message
- Oversee advertising sales efforts, including directing advertising sales strategy, and advertising acceptance and placement
- Cultivate strong relationships with regional magazine editors, with the goal of creating opportunities for collaboration and aligning content to top communications priorities
- Play a leading role on the Regional Magazine Task Force subcommittee, and work closely with Global Communications and Design to support the operations of the 30+ Rotary regional magazines around the world
- Work with Rotary’s Communications leadership when assigned to help address internal communications issues with Rotary members. Assist with issues and reputation management, including writing talking points and responses on issues
- Collaboration: Builds partnerships and works jointly with others to meet shared objectives.
- Global Perspective: Anticipates trends in the global humanitarian market to make decisions on where to focus Rotary’s efforts.
- Presence: Demonstrate composure and confidence.
- Innovation: Move Rotary beyond traditional ways of thinking
Why Work for Rotary?
- Generous medical, dental, and vision benefits package
- Progressive 401k matching contributions
- Above market and generous paid time off package
- Tuition reimbursement
- Professional development opportunities
- On-site cafeteria and coffee bar with special pricing for Rotary employees
- Flextime-several different work schedules to choose from
- Close to CTA, Metra, a variety of stores, and many food options.