Turley Publications is seeking an energetic candidate who loves telling stories to be the editor for two of its weekly publication: the Belchertown Sentinel and the Town Reminder. This position is based in its office in Palmer, Massachusetts.
The successful candidate will have strong community journalism skills. They must also be able to manage a staff writer, copy edit submitted items, staff stories, and special-sections’ coverage.
The editor is also expected to report, and write, for the two papers as well as for other occasional companywide publications.
This is a job for a self-starter who has a vision for growing and connecting with our valued readers.
And for a journalist who still likes to have fun covering the occasional fishing derby, a high school graduation and a small-town election – often in the same week.
- Cover news stories in surrounding communities.
- Proficient in taking his/her own photos.
- Proficient in AP style.
Competencies & Skills
- Experience in reporting news, local politics, features, or enterprise is preferred.
- Experience in photography.
- Strong writing across a variety of story types.
- Always thinking about our readers first.
- Curiosity is a must.
- Bachelor’s or Associate's degree (with comparable experience) in journalism or related field.
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- Turley Publications has two offices, one in Ware, Massachusetts and its headquarters in Palmer, Massachusetts. Both have working newsrooms.
- All pre-production is done onsite - ad building and pagination.
This is also a chance to mentor those new to the profession, and freelancers, who often need a guiding and steady hand as they learn.
The ideal candidate will have the ability to turn a story around quickly. Deadlines are important, of course.
We would also prefer a candidate who has management experience and/or managing content for print publications.
If you want to stay in the game, or get back in, please send a resume, three writing samples and a cover letter to: email@example.com.