New Haven Biz, the New Haven region’s only business-to-business news publication, is searching for a new editor to lead its operations.
This is a rare opportunity for someone interested in running their own newsroom. New Haven Biz is a multimedia news organization that publishes a monthly print newspaper and a three-days-a-week email newsletter. The goal is to expand operations in the year ahead.
New Haven Biz is owned by privately-held New England Business Media, publisher of the Hartford Business Journal, Worcester Business Journal and MaineBiz.
The editor’s job is to lead New Haven Biz’s online and print news efforts and products. The right candidate must have proven writing experience, strong copy editing skills, and the ability to meet tight deadlines as well as long-term story and project deadlines.
The editor will also need to serve as the face of New Haven Biz and actively engage with the New Haven business community.
Duties and Responsibilities
Work with the publisher, CT Editor and other departmental managers to develop an ongoing strategy for NHBiz, its products and its brand.
- Plan and direct the selection of content and stories for the print publication, e-news products and website that meet high standards of journalistic excellence and relevance to our readers.
- Oversee strategy and product development for the website and other online products including enewsletters.
- Oversee the editorial strategy and content planning for ancillary publications throughout the year, including awards sections.
- Oversee the writing and production of non-story content including calendar items, personnel and company news.
- Develops outside sources for additional news and content such as content sharing with other media outlets.
- Oversee the flow of copy from writers to production in an organized manner that meets the internal deadline needs of all departments. Edit and proofread final pages before printing/posting.
- Work with designers and edit staff on ideas related to choosing photography, illustrations, video and other art elements for print and online products.
- Communicate with the production department and assure that mutually agreed upon deadlines are adhered to and create crisp, clean and graphically appealing products.
- Lead regular editorial staff meetings to review story ideas, train, debrief and communicate with staff.
- Participate in managers’ meetings as requested.
- Conduct regular meetings with individual staffers to review job performance, progress and general concerns or issues.
- Represent NHBiz in the community at key business events.
- Oversee all social media efforts, including using various platforms -- Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, etc. -- to engage online audiences with New Haven Biz content.
- Approve all editorial staff vacation and time off requests and expense reports.
- Manage the department’s resources and an annual budget that meets the financial requirements of the company.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills.
- Ability to juggle multiple deadlines and priorities.
- Ability to work under deadline pressure situations.
- Strong public speaking skills
- Ability to do face-to-face networking and meet with key business leaders with the Publisher. Be the face of NHBiz.
If you are interested in this position, please send a cover letter, resume and examples of your work to Jill Coran, email@example.com.