At Calm, we have a simple, albeit BIG mission: to make the world a happier and healthier place. Through our website, blog, and app—filled with meditations, sleep stories, music, movement, and more—we’re redefining what mental care looks like in 2021 and beyond.
With over 100 million users worldwide, 100,000 new users daily, and our growing partnerships with major companies, we’re having a positive effect on more and more people each and every day. And while the heart of Calm is digital, we are growing and expanding offline with a variety of products and services to help deliver on our mission of health and happiness, the world over.
What We Do
As a leading brand in the mental wellness space, the Calm Content team works hard to develop life-changing audio and video content that truly helps people build a habit around mental wellness. Whether that’s better sleep, less anxiety, or even movements to help get users out of their head, we create experiences that truly help people find a happier and healthier life.
What You’ll Do
At Calm, we are dedicated to bringing mental health content to the entire world. As such, we’re expanding our team globally and hiring a Director of Content (EMEA) as one of our first leadership roles in-market.
In this role you’ll be responsible for scaling our slate of original programming across the EMEA region: defining content strategy, guiding content investment, identifying local talent partners, and leading a creative team responsible for producing extraordinary audio and visual content designed to make the world happier and healthier. As one of the first executives to be hired in-market, you will also establish Calm as a destination for talented professionals and coach/guide the people we add to the team.
You will also be working closely with the Marketing and Product teams, and influencing Calm’s co-founders/CEOs, Management Team, and functional leaders. In addition to experience producing extraordinary content and leading globally distributed teams, the ideal candidate needs to have a passion for the mental wellness and well-being space and a deep understanding of Calm’s mission in order to inspire the development of content that makes the world happier and healthier.
- Build and lead a world-class team of creative producers, writers, and editors; developing a creative environment that helps spark a wide range of new ideas and a healthy content pipeline across multiple markets
- Provide short- and long-term strategic direction for our EMEA content business, defining evolving priorities in the context of a highly-dynamic ecosystem and market, helping guide global content investment, and developing/deploying region-specific strategies as needed
- Create exceptional audio content across our primary content categories (mindfulness, music, sleep, wisdom) while also leading the exploration of new verticals and formats
- Cultivate external relationships, helping identify local partners (e.g., agencies/vendors as well as talent & IP partners) that allow us to scale our slate of original, licensed, and localized programming
- Develop strong cross-functional partnerships across the organization (Marketing, Partnerships, Operations, Legal, Product, Data) to inform content development, inspire innovation, and fuel user growth across the EMEA region
Who You Are
- Has 10+ years experience in content development, production and/or programming, including experience building and leading high-performing, cross-regional creative teams
- Strong storytelling sensibilities and demonstrated success originating and producing extraordinary audio and/or visual content
- Commercially minded and strategic thinker accustomed to evaluating new opportunities, guiding content investment, and making data-driven content decisions
- Proven leader, motivator, who is unafraid to roll-up sleeves and "lead from the front”
- Entrepreneurial mindset and comfort working in a fast-paced scale-up environment
- IQ/EQ balance and strong interpersonal skills, including comfort working with talent and interfacing with external partners
- Sharp communication skills: verbal, writing, presentation
- Passionate about the category of mental health & mindfulness
- Experience in audio industry a plus
- Competitive salary and equity
- “Take the time you need” approach to time off
- Home office stipend
- Supportive wellbeing benefits
- Commuter benefits
- Remote-first environment that allows you to work flexibly
- Opportunity to build a brand that makes the world happier and healthier
We believe that mental health is health, and every person should be considered in the discussion. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Calm is deeply committed to diversity, equity and inclusion, both in our hiring practices and in our experiences as a Calm employee. We strive to create a mindful and respectful environment where everyone can bring their authentic self to work, and experience a culture that is free of harassment, racism, and discrimination.
Calm is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. Please inform Calm’s Recruiting team if you need any assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.