Have you ever wondered what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers, teams, and businesses around the world. We believe that today’s entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.
We want people who are passionate about engaging and expanding our growing community through narrative-driven content.
We are looking for an experienced content leader to build a new content marketing function at DigitalOcean. Reporting to the VP of Content & Communications, the Director, Content Marketing will collaborate with key Product Marketing, Communications, and Revenue Marketing stakeholders to build compelling thought leadership content to engage SMBs and the developer community. This leader will have a proven track record of building and fostering positive, data-driven teams who instinctively tell engaging stories that captivate new audiences. Blog, guide, case study, and website writing are all part of your existing playbook, but creating engaging stories is your real passion. You’re both a content strategist and team leader, but you also shine when it comes to execution.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Developing a comprehensive content marketing strategy that introduces new programs to serve both existing and new target markets
- Thoughtfully creating the messaging strategy for our SMB and startup audiences, while not alienating our existing developer community
- Building and mentoring a team of content creators, web writers, and storytellers that scales to support our growth strategy
- Creating feedback loops on traffic, revenue, and customer retention metrics with key marketing stakeholders and leaders
- Building a process of cross-collaboration for content creation, promotion, and measurement
- Collaborating with the Product Marketing and Digital Experience Teams to create compelling written and visual customer stories, particularly focused on SMBs
- Owning the DO blog strategy and making it a key destination for growing businesses
- Envisioning new ways to re-package our existing content to appeal to a broader market
- Serving as a thought partner for the Communications Team on byline development and ideation
- Spearheading voice and style guideline creation in collaboration with Digital Experience
What We’ll Expect From You
- Significant content marketing leadership experience in tech - SaaS experience and experience marketing to developers is a plus
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Skilled at thinking about the big picture and building overarching narratives, while still being able to get into the fine details
- A passion for technology, development, and the cloud, with the ability to engage with software developers
- A deep understanding of the developer and technical entrepreneurial mindset, and the needs of small and medium developer teams
- Impeccably organized, with the ability to multitask and prioritize multiple projects at once
- Experience measuring content performance and using data to engage and persuade stakeholders
- A passion for growing teams and investing in people
- Experience building messaging frameworks and aligning your content development around key themes
- An excitement to work on high visibility projects in a fast paced environment
- BA/BS degree
Why You’ll Like Working for DigitalOcean
- We value development. You will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. We maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development through formalized mentorship, LinkedIn Learning tracks, and other internal programs. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We care about your physical, financial and mental well-being. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a commute or internet allowance to make your trips to your office or your desk easier. We offer generous parental leave with transition time built-in upon return to work. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match.
- We support our remote employee experience. While we have great office spaces in NYC, Cambridge and Palo Alto, we’re very distributed—we use a number of communication tools to connect across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to visit our offices and meet their teams face-to-face at team offsites. We also have an annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the entire company at least once a year. We also allow employees to outfit their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.