The Peninsula Daily News, a division of Sound Publishing Inc., is seeking a Digital News Editor to take our social media efforts to the next level and help grow our digital audience in Port Angeles Washington.
The ideal candidate is knowledgeable and passionate about social media, with professional experience on platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest, preferably for a media website. You need journalism experience, excellent writing skills, and strong news judgment.
If you're the right candidate, you know how to optimize a Web headline for SEO and social engagement, and you know how to use analytics to influence your decisions. You'll be part of our newsroom team, collaborating with reporters and editors to maximize the reach of our content. You'll also collaborate with other departments on company initiatives to promote The Herald and its various products and grow our overall audience.
- Lead day-to-day efforts on The Peninsula Daily News growing portfolio of social channels.
- Help our writers and editors package stories for social channels, and audiences.
- Set best practices and tone of voice for The Herald's social channels.
- Monitor trending topics and act on that information by communicating with staff writers or blogging and aggregating on your own.
- Track success through engagement rates, growth statistics, and other metrics.
- Participate in live coverage of news events using social tools.
- Integrate with Herald marketing and audience development teams to help with broader company aims in social media.
Desired Skills and Experience
- 3-5 years of professional experience in journalism-related social media. Proven track record running social for media outlets or brands preferred. The ability to exercise sound judgment is an absolute must.
- Extensive knowledge of mainstream and emerging social channels.
- Ability to track your own success and justify decisions with numbers.
- Familiarity with Snohomish County and the Puget Sound area.
- Experience with SEO/SEM, paid social advertising, or email marketing a plus.
- Experience using professional Web publishing tools, photo editing, and video editing a plus. We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package including health insurance, paid time off (vacation, sick, and holidays), and 401K (currently with an employer match).
If this job sounds like a good opportunity and you’re looking to join a dynamic, growing newsroom in one of the most
beautiful parts of the United States, we’d love to hear from you.
No calls, please. To apply, please send the following to
email@example.com and be sure to note ATTN: PORTED in the subject line: (1) a resumé and cover letter outlining how you are a good fit for this position and your vision for it; (2) at least three professional references.