GreatSchools is looking for a collaborative digital editor and multimedia content producer with passion for equity in K-12 education and experience in education, parenting, or child development. Your work will help create and distribute digital content and tools that support millions of families, policymakers, and educators across the United States. This full-time position reports to the VP, Editorial Director.
- Write, research, and edit articles, and email newsletters for parents and educators
- Produce podcasts for parents including script writing, pre-production, researching, reporting, and audio editing
- Collaborate on UX writing for school information pages
- Oversee multifaceted editorial projects with various collaborators from inside and outside the organization, including product designers, partner organizations, academic researchers, data analysts and engineers
- Create and implement content marketing strategies to distribute content through media partnerships, online school information pages, email and social networks
- Collaborate on development of video series including creative direction and scriptwriting.
- Work collaboratively with various departments (external affairs, design, product, data science) to develop strong educational content for parents, educators, partner organizations, and policymakers
- Copyedit and fact check articles, grants, videos, methodology documents, etc
- Provide production support for WordPress-based CMS, including publishing and SEO
- Great writer and editor – with excellent narrative and service reporting skills and short form UX writing skills
- Podcast producer with experience in research, reporting, recording, scripting and editing
- Creative direction for video production, including ideation, research and script writing
- Knowledge of user experience best practices. Able to use analytics to measure and guide content
- Creative thinker with new ideas about how to distribute content, reach parents and deliver on the GreatSchools mission
- Highly organized, technically savvy and able to use collaborative tools to organize and complete projects on deadline
Subject Matter Expertise
- Expertise in K-12 education, developmental psychology or parenting with an understanding of issues in K-12 public education
- Strong understanding of equity, diversity and inclusion principles in the K-12 system, including the potential and challenges of current education data, accountability practices, and pedagogical approaches
- Understanding of common parent and student challenges and needs, especially those of underserved families
- Versatile in collaborative online tools such as Google suite (docs, sheets, slides), Asana, Slack, Figma and WordPress CMS
Other Skills a Plus
- Fluent in Spanish (verbal and written)
- Education data analysis
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. This position can be on-site at our office in Oakland, CA or remote.
Remote within the US, or Oakland, CA
When deemed safe by health standards, you may need to travel 1-2 times per quarter (2-4 day trips) to partner institutions, convenings and meetings across the country. When safe, periodic travel (2-3 times per year) to Oakland, CA will be necessary.
How To Apply
To apply, please submit a cover letter, including salary requirements and a writing sample, along with your résumé. Your cover letter should include reasons why you want to work at GreatSchools. Résumés without cover letters, salary requirements, and writing samples will not be considered. No phone calls, please.