We’re looking for a Freelance Developmental Editor to help level up our dialogue and scenarios and make our interactive virtual human learning experiences the best they can be. The ideal candidate will understand how to collaborate with writers to make their dialogue feel realistic and compelling, have a basic understanding of branching dialogue and if/then logic, and know how to evaluate an interactive story not just as a creative work, but as a learning tool.
We believe great writing and great editing go hand in hand, so this position may also include a small amount of content creation. However, the primary focus will be on establishing the highest quality standards and supporting the team in reaching those standards through content editing (themes, plot and character arcs, tone) and mechanical copyediting. This position reports to the Narrative Design Manager, and will work closely with the Narrative Design and Learning Experience Design teams to collaboratively refine our content to achieve maximum impact while preserving the original authorial intent.
We are looking to build a diverse team with a variety of backgrounds and skill sets. The lists below are not meant to be exclusionary requirements, but a guide for what this position entails. As a learning company, we value your past experience but prioritize candidates who recognize the value in learning new things and adding to their existing skill set. If you have the desire and ability to learn, we’d like to hear from you!
Knowledge, Skills and Experience We Are Looking For
- Ability to collaborate with content creators, review interactive dialogue, and provide constructive feedback to ensure our work meets the highest quality standards
- Strong understanding of narrative structure and character arcs
- Strong understanding of grammar, syntax, spelling, and punctuation
- Solid understanding of story and game structure and how they can integrate successfully
- Ability to evaluate content from a learning perspective and highlight changes that could improve the learner experience
- Ability to adapt style to match a project's tone, business requirements, and learning goals
- Ability to work collaboratively and build rapport with both internal narrative designers and external clients
- Ability to learn proprietary content creation software
- Ability to collaborate with the Narrative Design team to establish a consistent product voice
- Ability to create style guides and documentation to support future Talespin creators
- Ability to write interactive branching dialogue
In This Role You Will
- Work closely with Narrative Designers to provide constructive feedback on interactive conversation training experiences
- Collaborate with the Narrative Design team to establish internal product standards and a consistent product voice
- Create style guides and documentation to support the Narrative Design team
- Provide review and quality control feedback on all conversation training experiences published on the Talespin platform
- While the vast majority of the Developmental Editor position will be focused on the above tasks, depending on candidate interest and evolving team demands, the Developmental Editor may also design interactive training experiences (likely 25% or less of workload)
One or More of These Is a Plus
- Experience with and/or interest in VR experiences
- Experience with and/or interest in RPG games
- Experience with and/or interest in soft skill training
- Experience working in interactive narrative software or interactive online platform
- Understanding of educational pedagogy and learning theory
- Understanding of narrative development for interactive learning design
- Experience writing or editing at least one shipped product
- Experience working as a part of a collaborative design team
- Experience with voice recording sessions and providing feedback to actors
- We believe in applying what we teach and approach all conversations with empathy, respect, compassion, and professionalism
- Professionalism, to us, means working hard and creating the highest quality product while valuing each others’ time and wellbeing in a mutually supportive environment. We take pride in our work!
- We work highly collaboratively and demonstrate respect for every team member’s voice and point of view
- We value having fun (even as a remote team) and have been known to enjoy Jackbox games and learning fun facts about animals and cryptids together
- We strive to establish a culture of ongoing learning and open communication
- We encourage team members to proactively ask questions and solicit help, feedback, or guidance when needed
This is a temporary freelance role to support the team for a 6-month period.