Based in San Francisco, CA or 100% Remote (Based in the U.S.)
NerdWallet is looking for a writer who can analyze, interpret and write about data to help consumers make informed personal finance choices. Successful candidates must be able to translate complex topics into conversational articles that frame the answers our audience seeks with the context it deserves.
Your primary focus will be to research, obtain, analyze and interpret data, and then write compelling data-driven stories for the benefit of consumers. You would spend a significant amount of time obtaining and managing relevant data for your team, communicating with data vendor partners, inspecting and analyzing large data sets, and helping fellow writers understand how to frame and write about your findings.
A typical day could include not only writing but also gathering data for product ratings, building a case for a new coverage area, testing a calculator, editing a colleague’s work or pitching in on a presentation for colleagues.
Please include links to two or more examples of your work that involved data analysis. Ideally at least one should be an example in which you analyzed and wrote about the data. In each case, please describe your role in obtaining, analyzing, interpreting and writing about the data.
How You Can Make an Impact
- Write high-quality, data-driven stories with a strong consumer-first orientation.
- Share expertise and timely/relevant ideas to support NerdWallet’s data-driven content strategy.
- Analyze data, interpret your findings and break it down for readers in a clear, digestible and useful way.
- Manage relationships with data vendors and field data requests from fellow writers and partners.
- Leverage insights from analytics to grow NerdWallet's readership and improve the user experience through new content and optimizations.
- Contribute ideas that strengthen NerdWallet's approach to product reviews and comparisons.
- Help shape NerdWallet's consumer experiences, including tools.
- Think creatively about how to use the data we have, how to track down the data we want, and how best to leverage it in the service of consumers.
- A strong communicator who can empathize with consumers and help them navigate complex financial decisions.
- Excellent at prioritization and handling multiple projects at once.
- Resourceful and self-directed. You can tackle anything from story assignments to projects with minimal direction, and you consistently deliver polished work.
- Comfortable with change.
- Able to provide examples of how you've taken initiative and driven projects throughout your career.
- Passionate about self-improvement and at ease with constructive feedback.
- Someone who works with equal enthusiasm whether you’re a project leader or team member.
- 1+ years writing for consumer-facing publications
- Nice to have: experience with analytical tools like SQL, R, or Stata
That's what it takes to thrive at NerdWallet, which has been helping consumers make smart financial decisions since 2009. Our content team includes writers and editors with experience at Bloomberg, Dow Jones, the Los Angeles Times, MSN, Reuters, USA Today, The Wall Street Journal and The Washington Post. We also have staff writers who have spent years as successful freelancers or in fields outside journalism.
What we have in common: We take initiative. We think strategically. We problem solve effectively. We're flexible. We're highly collaborative.
What We Offer:
Work hard, stay balanced (Life’s a series of balancing acts, eh?)
- 100% paid premiums for medical, dental and vision for employees and their dependents
- Rejuvenation Policy – Flexible Time Off + 12 holidays
- New Parent Leave for employees with a newborn child or a child placed with them for adoption or foster care
- Mental health support through Ginger.io
- Paid sabbatical for Nerds to recharge, gain knowledge and pursue their interests
- Health and Dependent Care FSA and HSA with monthly NerdWallet contribution
- Weekly Virtual Bootcamp, Yoga and Mindfulness Meditation sessions
- Monthly Wellness Stipend and Cell Phone Stipend
Have some fun! (Nerds are fun, too)
- Nerd-led group initiatives – Intramural Sports, Employee Resource Groups for Parents, Diversity and Inclusion, Womxn, LGBTQIA, and other communities
- Hackathons, Happy Hours and team bonding across all teams and departments
- Company-wide events like Little Nerds Day (aka bring your kids to work day, even if you're remote!) and our annual Charity Auction
Lifestyle (Be your best self - we’ll take care of the details)
- Our Nerds love to make an impact by paying it forward – Donate to your favorite causes with a company match
- Work from home equipment stipend and co-working space subsidy
- Commuting stipend and catered breakfast, lunch and onsite barista for SF based Nerds
- Anniversary recognition program – choose from different items and experiences
Plan for your future (And when you retire on your island, remember the little people)
- 401K with company matchAnnual
- Enrichment Stipend for learning and development
- Be the first to test and benefit from our new financial products and tools
- Access to Rocket Lawyer for online legal support and resources
NerdWallet is committed to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of any characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.