Crisis Text Line is a nonprofit which provides free 24/7 access to crisis support via text message. We are looking for a curious and growth-mindset-oriented Data Writer, someone who wants to dive into one of the richest mental health datasets in the world, and share their findings to change how people think, feel, and act around mental health and crisis.
Role location can be: New York NY,San Francisco Bay Area CA, Seattle, WA, Durham NC or Denver CO.
What You Will Be Doing
- Data storytelling. Working with our Communications and Data Teams, and external research teams to use data from our BI platform and other sources to create narratives that inform research, policy, and support the mental health community, on the mediums of our blog, social media, news, and our internal communications.
- Requests. Project manage and complete data requests, making sure stakeholders have clear expectations of delivery timelines, drafts of requests are delivered before deadline to allow time for collaboration, and finished requests are delivered on time.
Who You Are
- Impact-oriented. You want to work on meaningful projects that lead to positive impact. You develop analysis and tools with people in mind.
- Independent, self-motivated, and curious. You have a knack for taking vague questions and crystallizing them into impactful projects.
- Deliberate, mindful, team-player. You involve stakeholders early, emphasize consistent rigor and a high standard of ethics in your analyses, and document analyses so they are both transparent and replicable.
- Minimum of 1 year of experience in analytics or journalism, a degree in a related field, or or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Proficiency in Excel and SQL for data analysis. Python or R is a plus, but not required.
- Experience using statistical methods and analysis.
- Experience using BI dashboards such as Periscope, Looker, or Tableau.
- Proficiency and a passion for data storytelling.
- 3 weeks paid time off per calendar year, plus the week between Christmas and New Years, federal holidays, your birthday, and others
- Medical, dental, and vision benefits for the staff member and family
- 403B retirement plan (the nonprofit equivalent of a 401K) that matches 3% of your salary
- Paid sick/safe and personal leave
- Bereavement leave (in the case of death of an immediate family member)
- Flexible, remote-friendly work policies
- 12 weeks paid parental leave (applies to full-time regular employee who's been with the company for at least 6 months and experiences the birth of a child or the placement of a child for adoption or foster care)
- Professional development stipend
- FSA and transit benefits
- Free mental health services
- 4 week volunteer sabbatical after 2 years of continuous, full-time work to work with a non-profit anywhere in the world
Crisis Text Line is an equal opportunity employer.