PushBlack is the nation’s largest media advocacy organization for Black Americans, currently serving 9 million people across all platforms. We use the power of narrative, especially Black History, to educate and activate our subscribers to build their personal power and create lasting economic and political change.
What We’re Looking For
PushBlack is looking for a Writer to develop stories centered on criminal justice. This role will include writing articles, campaign work, and strategic support.
The Criminal Justice Writer should be passionate and well versed in the history of abolition and racism in the criminal justice system. They should also understand how aspects of the criminal justice system like prisons, policing, and the courts function. This person needs to know how to strategically explain abolition in relation to the aforementioned things to our large Black subscriber base who are primarily focused on seeking and engaging in political education.
What You’d Be Doing
- Research, create, pitch content and stories that support an evergreen archival content effort that addresses and highlights an abolitionist perspective.
- Create petitions that generate interest and mobilize subscribers around issues that Black America is facing due to institutional racism
- Analyze petition data to ensure effectiveness of its content and reach
- Collaborate in the expansion of a comprehensive criminal justice program at PushBlack that it not limited to, but includes:
- Managing a potential Facebook group
- Testing and experimenting with different content models
- Varying approaches to high profile partnerships + engagement
- Assist in tracking and maintaining data as it relates to the criminal justice system such as identifying key stakeholders, state officials, and identifying important issues
- Analyze petition data to ensure effectiveness of its content and reach.
- Aid in the creation of public facing criminal justice explainers and promotional content for partnerships and collaboration.
Skills + Experience
- Proven research capabilities and pitch strategies.
- Experience with content creation using persuasive writing practices that support demand generation and retention of subscriber base.
- Critical thinker who is passionate about storytelling and creating meaningful content
- An understanding of how readers engage with online and social media content.
This Would Put You Over The Top
- Experience as an on-the-ground organizer
- Experience with graphic design is preferred
- Experience fact-checking and editing is preferred
- Networking ability and existing relationships in the criminal justice realm are preferred
What We Hope You’re Looking For
- Whether you love your couch or your desk, it doesn’t matter. We’re 100% Remote!
- Great benefits that include medical, dental, and vision.
- PTO, Sick and Holiday Leave
- 401K Retirement Savings w/ tiered match
PushBlack is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, people from working class backgrounds, women, and LGBTQIA+ people are centered in the work we do. We strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other marginalized communities.