Founded by a dentist and her sister (a self-confessed lazy flosser), Cocofloss is on a mission to make flossing a fun and rewarding part of everyone’s self-care routine. We believe we’ve created a superior, super-cleansing floss, and we aim to inspire people to treat themselves to lots of TLC (toothy loving care) through informative, fun writing.
You can find us online at Cocofloss.com as well as in retail stores, including Sephora, Anthropologie, goop Lab, Credo, and Target. We are a bootstrapped company based in the San Francisco Bay Area. Within a few fast-paced years, we’ve built a multi-million dollar brand, with hopes of expanding the $28B oral care space.
About the Role
We’re looking for a lively writer who can create punchy product descriptions and engaging stories across a range of channels, including our blog, quarterly newsletter, social media, and marketing and press emails. Writing experience is a must, but copywriting experience is not a requirement. If you know how to craft witty headlines and snappy blurbs (product round-ups, front-of-the-book magazine pieces) as well as well-researched 1000-word articles, we’d love to meet you.
What You’ll Do
- Make floss and all things oral care feel fun
- Write chatty social copy, product descriptions, and marketing emails that make people feel personally connected to Cocofloss and inspire them to purchase
- Plan and implement a successful social media strategy, including monitoring multiple social media channels, tracking and retweeting influencers, and contributing to buzzy conversations
- Create engaging, informative social media copy (paid and organic) for Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter that clearly communicates Cocofloss’s voice
- Write subject lines so good, no one can resist opening our emails
- Write smart — and here’s the real trick — entertaining blog posts on oral care and wellness and contribute to our quarterly travel-focused (who would’ve guessed?) newsletter
- Research customer behavior and use Google Analytics to inspire new content
- Figure out the perfect combination of words to make our product packaging shine
- Assign design work, illustrations, and photographs to pair with our content across all channels
- Occasionally reach out to press about new product launches
- Copyediting and proofing
Who You Are
- A creative writer and brand strategist with 5-7 years’ of professional writing experience
- BA in English, journalism, communications, or related field
- Excited to find creative new ways to use social media to develop our brand’s personality
- A determined fact-checker with a keen eye for detail and a great appreciation for style guides
- Possess a strong design sensibility and vocabulary; experience collaborating with designers, illustrators, and photographers
- A firm believer in the revision process and an enthusiastic collaborator — you’re excited to share new ideas as well as put your energy behind team members’ plans
- Flexible — you can roll with the changing priorities and shifting deadlines of a scrappy startup
- A lover of pop culture, silly puns, and adorable illustrations of pups (our co-founder’s dog Heidi is often depicted on our packaging)
How to Apply
Say hello and show us what you’re all about! Please send a cover letter and three relevant writing samples. If you have a social media account that serves as a good professional portfolio, please share that as well.
Benefits at Cocofloss
Our perks and benefits include medical and dental insurance, gym stipends (including online classes), and a generous vacation policy of 21 paid-time-off days in addition to national holidays. “Balance & bliss” is part of our core “flossophy” and we value work-life flexibility. We’ve been a remote team since before the Covid-19 pandemic, and we pride ourselves on our ability to stay connected, even at a distance.