The Trevor Project is the world’s largest suicide prevention and crisis intervention organization for LGBTQ young people. We are a non-profit that provides 24/7 life-saving support via phone, text, and chat. We also operate the world’s largest safe space social networking site for LGBTQ youth and run innovative research, education, and advocacy programs. We’ve been saving lives every day for over 20 years.
Overview of The Role
The Trevor Project has experienced substantial growth over the last four years and is continuing to expand as part of our mission to end LGBTQ youth suicide. To support this continued growth, we are hiring our first staff Copywriter to help develop and lead our voice within our newly formed Content and Creative department. Reporting to the Head of Content, this person will be responsible for bringing our brand to life through creative copy across all platforms.
They will collaborate heavily with our Marketing department to understand and support the current and growing needs of the organization. We’re looking for someone who is creative and dynamic, with experience copywriting for SEO, email marketing, brand marketing, and social marketing. Your work will help connect us authentically to LGBTQ youth and the adults who support the efforts of our organization, helping you be a part of our mission in saving LGBTQ young lives.
Who You Are
- Creative. Your friends think of you as an amazing storyteller, you’re able to captivate folks with your words.
- Succinct and Detail-oriented. You know how to boil a narrative into a short headline or soundbite without any grammatical errors or typos.
- Culturally Attuned. You are hyper-aware, and always willing to learn more about the sensitive nature of our work and how to speak about it in a way that makes folks feel like they’re being respected and seen, and not exploited.
- Strategic. You understand the nuances of e-mail versus SEO, social copy versus a script for a long-form video, and use that expertise to always produce work that takes those differences into consideration.
- Goal-oriented. You set aggressive goals that are achievable, then focus on exceeding them.
- Collaborative. You understand that the best way to meet and exceed goals is through outstanding teamwork.
- Flexible. You are comfortable navigating ambiguity and working through competing priorities.
- Passionate. You care about LGBTQ youth. You care about saving lives. You want to come to work and feel inspired every day. You want to change the world.
- Fun. The work we do is very serious, but that doesn’t mean we don’t have fun. We know how to have a good time and you should too.
What You’ll Do
- Manage the drafting of copy across various platforms based on the needs of marketing, development, and creative
- Check the work of internal and external communications for any grammatical errors or typos, ensuring we are always putting out only the highest quality work and match the overall brand tone
- Work with our emerging production team to draft scripts for long-form and short-form content
- Assist our Email Marketing team in executing segmented campaigns with personalized copy that meet the needs of our donors
- Work with our events team in drafting the scripts of any of our live shows
- Collaborate with our People Ops teams for the drafting of internal communications to staff, including remarks from our CEO
- Work with our crisis services, public training, and marketing teams to create educational resources, such as handbooks and guides, as well as social-first promotional copy for each resource
- Find creative ways to develop our brand voice, work with our data analysts to identify what is/isn’t working well, and iterate on what can be improved upon
- Generous vacation and holidays (like a full day off to celebrate Harvey Milk Day!), including three half-day Fridays during the summer
- Comprehensive health insurance (we pay 100% of your premiums for medical, dental, and life), including gender affirmation surgery
- Flexibility to work from anywhere in the U.S. (we provide the technology, a monthly internet stipend, and reimbursement to outfit your work-from-home space!)
- Fun virtual office environment and passionate team
- Online Subscription to Headspace, a digital meditation platform
- The Trevor Project is an equal opportunity employer
- Meaningful work at an organization that is saving the lives of LGBTQ young people across America every day.