Starling isn’t your average bank. We’re on a mission to give everyone in the world a fairer, easier and more human alternative to the banks of the past – and we’ve been voted Britain’s Best Bank three years running for doing just that.
We want to change people’s lives by helping them get to grips with money, from their phone. And a big part of that is how we talk. Demystifying the sometimes bewildering financial world means using clear, human and jargon-free language – which is why we like to hire writers who can simplify the complex and communicate in a warm, accessible way. Ideally they’d also like helping other people to do the same.
Reporting to the Head of Copy as part of Starlings creative studio, day-to-day you might:
- Come up with a creative concept for a new ad or social campaign
- Write or improve some website copy, FAQs or T&Cs
- Run a training session on tone of voice to help people in the company feel more confident about writing.
- Turn complex, jargon-heavy subjects into sparkling, clear, easy-to-understand copy.
- Craft the messaging and positioning for a brand new product
- Work with product designers and managers to create a brilliant user experience in the app
You’re right for this role if:
- You’re an experienced writer, with a portfolio to prove it. This isn’t a grad role – you’ll need to have at least five years under your belt.
- You have a great grasp of the nuances of tone, able to find the sweet spot between conversational, grown-up and playful with ease.
- You enjoy measuring the impact of your work and demonstrating how great writing solves problems.
- You’re entrepreneurial and dynamic, and love owning projects and looking for opportunities to have impact.
- You interrogate briefs and think strategically about how they fit into the bigger picture.
- You’re comfortable advocating for better writing company-wide (some experience in tone of voice training would be great, so if you’ve got that – tell us about it!).
- You’re highly creative, with conceptual chops and experience in idea generation.
- You’re happy working across a lot of different areas. We don’t have writers in different areas at Starling, so you’ll need to be able to switch seamlessly between projects.
It’s not for you if…
- You need a lot of structure and direction. Things move quickly here and you’ll need to be comfortable leading and owning your own projects and making decisions.
- You’re not comfortable speaking up and justifying your decisions, often with senior stakeholders across the business.
- You only want to do one type of writing.
- 33 days holiday (including public hols). You’ll also get your birthday on us
- 16 hours paid volunteering time a year
- Private Medical Insurance with VitalityHealth
- Contributory pension scheme
- We have many varied social groups set up and run by our employees - ForTheWin (a gaming group), Starling FC, book club and many more!
- Discounts on cinema tickets, restaurants, shopping and train tickets via a Perkbox membership
- Access to ‘salary sacrifice’ benefits such as Cycle to Work scheme
- Gym membership options
Full details are available on our careers site
Starling is a leading digital bank on a mission to disrupt the banking industry.
Since our launch in 2014, we've surpassed 2 million accounts, including almost 300,000 business accounts. Our total deposits, meanwhile, have topped £4 billion and we have lent over £1.5bn over the same period. We're a fully licensed UK bank, and we have the culture and spirit of a fast-moving, disruptive technology company. We've won the Best British Bank award three years running, and now employ over 1100 people across our London, Southampton, Cardiff & Dublin offices.
Starling Bank is an equal opportunity employer, and we’re proud of our ongoing efforts to foster diversity & inclusion in the workplace. Individuals seeking employment at Starling Bank are considered without regard to race, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition, ancestry, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
By submitting your application, you agree that Starling Bank may collect your personal data for recruiting and related purposes. Our Privacy Notice explains what personal information we may process, where we may process your personal information, its purposes for processing your personal information, and the rights you can exercise over our use of your personal information.