Vital Strategies, headquartered in New York City, is an international public health organization. Our programs strengthen public health systems and address the world’s leading causes of illness, injury and death. We currently work in 73 countries, supporting data-driven decision making in government, advancing evidence-based public health policies and mounting strategic communication campaigns. Vital Strategies’ priorities are driven by the greatest potential to improve and save lives. They include noncommunicable disease prevention, cardiovascular health, tobacco control, road safety, obesity prevention, epidemic prevention, overdose prevention, environmental health, vital statistics systems building and multidrug-resistant tuberculosis treatment research. Our programs are primarily concentrated in low- and middle-income countries in Africa, Latin America, Asia and the Pacific; the Overdose Prevention Program is our first initiative in the U.S. Please visit our website at www.vitalstrategies.org to find out more about our work.
Vital Strategies offers highly competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits. Vital welcomes and supports a diverse, inclusive work environment. As such, our commitment is to promote equal employment opportunities (EEO) for all applicants seeking employment.
Terms of Reference
Title: Copy Editor
Contract Type: Consultancy
Contract Duration: Six months
Start Date: ASAP
Application Deadline: Sept. 21, 2020
The Copy Editor will review and edit existing materials, revising content for accuracy and quality, spelling, grammar, syntax and adherence to brand style across the writing portfolio for the Policy, Advocacy and Communication division. Working in an integrated manner across the editorial, public relations, digital and design teams, the consultant will copy edit materials for clarity and concision while maintaining appropriate tone and voice.
- Revisions of drafts and final versions of white papers, emails, newsletters, press releases, marketing materials, website copy and other documents as needed.
- Copy edit, format and proofread materials in English including program reports, white papers, emails, newsletters, press releases, marketing materials and websites tailored towards public health officials, partners, donors and a general audience.
- Consult with relevant team members to clarify ambiguities and remedy substantive errors.
- Ensure adherence to AP style and in-house style guide, with close attention to detail and consistency.
- Manage multiple projects across different teams while consistently meeting deadlines and ensuring quality output.
Consultant Background Must Include
- Education and degree
- Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, social sciences or a related discipline
Skills and Abilities
- Exceptional writing and editing skills; experience in technical/scientific writing a plus
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Strong organizational skills, with the ability to self-manage and deliver high-quality work on time
- Fluency in written and spoken English; fluency in another language a plus.
- At least five years of professional experience in writing and copy editing.
- Public health, public policy or social science knowledge and experience is a plus.