Texas Monthly has an immediate opening for a copy editor, who will work with the editorial team to ensure the grammatical and stylistic accuracy of its published work. This copy editor will be primarily focused on the print magazine but may be asked to edit copy for other editorial platforms as needed.
This is a full-time position with generous benefits, including a comprehensive health-insurance plan, 401(k) matching, profit sharing, and the opportunity for annual bonuses. Compensation is competitive and negotiable. While preference will be given to candidates who are based in, or willing to relocate to, Austin, candidates located elsewhere in Texas will be considered.
Job Responsibilities Include, But Are Not Limited To
- Vetting manuscripts (for both the magazine and its website) for grammar, spelling, style, and usage
- Working closely with writers, fact-checkers, and editors to reconcile edits from various stakeholders
- Shepherding manuscripts through the production process
Successful Candidates Will Possess The Following Skills/Abilities
- A deep love for language and storytelling
- A strong familiarity and expertise with the authorities on language and editing, such as Chicago, AP, Bryan Garner, Merriam-Webster, and Words Into Type
- A fastidiousness in regard to details, deadlines, and organization, and an ability to stay calm under pressure (long hours are sometimes required)
- The ability to communicate clearly and diplomatically
- Writing, reporting, interviewing, and general journalistic know-how is preferred, as is a general affinity for the state of Texas and its varied affairs
- Proofreading/editing ability in Spanish is a strong plus
- A bachelor’s degree in a relevant field
- Previous copy editing experience
If you are a qualified candidate, please send a résumé and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications for this position should be submitted by January 21, 2022; applications may be reviewed on a rolling basis until that date. Promising applicants will be selected for an initial screening interview. Candidates who move forward in the hiring process from there will be asked to take an editing test. Finalists will then have an interview with the editor-in-chief and other major stakeholders, and another informational interview with copy editors on staff.
Texas Monthly is committed to diversity and cultivating an inclusive environment. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or veteran status.