Founded in 2007, Quimbee is the most widely used and respected legal study aid on the web. With a massive and growing library of case briefs, video lessons, multiple-choice questions, practice exams, and outlines, Quimbee helps its members achieve success in law school and beyond. Quimbee can be accessed on desktop, tablet, and mobile devices.
Quimbee is growing! We’re looking to add a full-time editor to our core team. This position is 100% remote. All you need is an internet connection and a quiet place to work.
We hire brilliant professors and attorneys to write our content, and we need equally brilliant editors to oversee those content projects; edit for style, grammar, and conversational tone; and proof to perfection. In this capacity, you will serve as, in effect, a legal educator. This is a position of great trust and responsibility.
You are the last line of defense, charged with ensuring that nothing but the highest quality content reaches Quimbee’s customers.
Who You Are
- An outstanding editor: You’re passionate about good writing. You bring a mastery of grammar, spelling, and style guides. You could teach English 101 at a top university. But that’s not all. You know how to bring out a writer’s best work through encouragement and constructive criticism.
- An excellent communicator: You communicate clearly, effectively, and politely with your teammates. In fact, you believe in “overcommunicating,” because you understand that lack of communication is the root cause of a dysfunctional team.
- A detail-oriented, tech-savvy, self-starter: You’re comfortable with technology generally and eager to learn. You’re disciplined and motivated, the kind of person who doesn’t need someone looking over your shoulder to make sure you’re doing your job.
- A fun person: You don’t lose your cool. You bring out the best in the people around you. You don’t take yourself too seriously. You can make and take a joke.
- Serve as lead editor on various projects
- Ensure timely project progression and that production schedules are met
- Manage relationships with the writers whose work you will edit
- Collaborate with other members of the Quimbee team to facilitate the creation of a polished final product
- Bachelor's degree
- Minimum 2 years of professional copy editing and publishing experience
- Expertise with Chicago Manual of Style (CMOS) citation and format style
- Proficiency using advanced features in MS Word
- Native fluency in English
- Impeccable grammar, spelling, and citation skills
- Attention to detail
- Strong feelings about the Oxford comma
- Excellent communication skills
- A working computer
- High-speed internet connection
- At least 5 years of experience in editing or publishing, bonus points for legal editing or publishing
- Familiarity with legal citations (Bluebook) and legal terminology
- Graduation at the top of your class
- M.A. in English or journalism
- 100% remote. That's one of the biggies. No more commute!
- Profit share. We set aside a percentage of profits each year and then pay them out equally across the entire team.
- Group health-insurance coverage.
- 401k matching up to 4% (100% matching up to 3% and 50% between 3% and 5%).
- Unlimited paid time off. Our philosophy is that if you feel you need time off (for example, because of overwork, sickness, personal matters, etc.), we're not going to question that. We just ask that you don't abuse it and that you give us at least two weeks notice if you plan to be away.