BuzzFeed is looking for a full-time, approximately 40 hours per week, project-based Copy Editor to work with our Branded and Editorial content teams in our New York City office, with the possibility of becoming a full-time salaried hire.
We seek a self-professed “word nerd” with a comprehensive knowledge of, and passion for, grammar, spelling, punctuation, syntax, and all-around proper use of the English language. Reporting to the head of Copy & Research, you will manage copyediting content in all forms, including posts, video, and social copy.
You have solid copyediting, fact-checking, and you know how to edit for accuracy and consistency without losing tone or voice. Are you incensed by the misuse of homophones? Can you spot a typo with your eyes half-closed? Are you simply going to lose it the next time someone uses a hyphen instead of an em dash? (You get the picture.)
You may be asked to complete a copy test before being interviewed.
*You Will *
- Copyedit BuzzFeed posts and videos for spelling, grammar, punctuation, style, and consistency
- Help with occasional fact-checking
- Work with writers, editors, and account managers
- Show awareness of brand tone, flagging any copy for sensitivity issues or misalignment with client demographics
- At least 2–3 years’ experience copyediting for a website or magazine
- Familiarity with the AP style guide (bonus points for familiarity with the BuzzFeed Style Guide!)
- Solid collaboration skills
- The ability to work at a fast pace
- The ability to adapt to new writing styles and formats
- Familiarity with British English (a plus!)
- A positive, curious, playful disposition
- Your résumé
- A cover letter that explains why you'd be perfect for the job
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe we benefit from the diverse perspectives within and across our teams. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion and is committed to equal opportunity employment practices.
BuzzFeed is the world’s leading tech-powered media company, with a cross-platform news and entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally. The company aims to spread truth and joy across the internet by producing articles, lists, quizzes, videos, original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the world’s largest social food network; original reporting and investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News; strategic partnerships, licensing and product development through BuzzFeed Marketing; and original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film and digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
BuzzFeed is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.