We’re hiring two or three more professional writers to join us in a full-time, long-term role. We’re expanding our writing scope to include three main projects. You will likely get to work on all three at different times.
1) Researching the child custody process in each U.S. state (one of the 50 states at a time — a big project) and even other English-speaking countries. We call and email attorneys, mediators and other custody experts, then write what we learn into 10+ articles per state (like this page on California custody schedules).
2) Writing about related topics, such as parenting schedules and child support, so you’ll be able to pitch ideas. These topics require less research than the in-depth guides we’re making for each state / location.
3) Writing for our sister company, Remote Tech Jobs, about the world of remote work. This is a brand-new site and we’re going to have a lot of flexibility with the topics there.
You must have native English proficiency, though you can live anywhere in North or South America.
The starting salary is USD $13-$14 per hour (as a 1099 contractor). If you’re not a U.S. citizen, you’ll be paid the equivalent in your local currency.
We’d Like to Hire You If:
- You have professional writing experience and/or training.
- You would like to research topics by calling and emailing law professionals.
- You can stay on task without supervision and work independently.
- You want to work from home in a long-term, full-time position.
- You have native English writing and speaking skills.
- You live in North or South America.
- We get along. (To see the team you’ll be joining, visit our about us page.)
Our company is Custody X Change. We sell an app that creates child custody schedules and parenting plans. It helps families make difficult decisions following separation and facilitates communication between parents who may not get along anymore.
This reduces conflict and saves people a ton of money in legal fees. We keep the focus on what’s helpful to current and future customers, which is why our writers are now expanding the state-specific content on our site.
If you want to join a small, distributed team and help people discover a genuinely helpful product, we should talk.
To apply, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org, and:
- Include your resume in PDF format.
- Attach three to four writing samples.
- Somehow use the word “squash” in the subject of your email.
- Answer the following six prompts in the email body, in this order:
- Describe your professional writing experience. (50–100 words)
- Why are you looking for a remote job? Please mention where you’re based. (25–50 words)
- Why will you do well working independently with limited supervision? (50–100 words)
- How do you feel about doing phone interviews with strangers? (25–50 words)
- What do you think about the starting salary? (25–50 words)
- What is your ultimate career goal? (50–100 words)
P.S. We want everyone working here to be happy. For the most part, you can set your own hours. You’ll be evaluated on results, nothing else.