The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is growing rapidly and seeking a Content Writer to join our Content & Customer Programs team and help grow our business editorial team. This is an ideal opportunity for an early-in-career writer, freelancer looking for a full-time in-house opportunity, or someone with some professional writing experience transitioning from another role in journalism or other areas of marketing.
The Content Writer will join a small content team and write about topics related to customer experience, C-level thought leadership, customer success features, communications, industry trends, and more. This role reports to the team’s senior manager and works daily with the managing editor of Twilio’s business content property—and will be a key person for scaling editorial content efforts within the Solutions Marketing organization.
Twilio is looking for someone who lives the Twilio Magic and has at least some experience with content writing or journalism in a professional setting. They also have:
- At least one year of experience as a writer, journalist, or in a role with a strong writing component
- Ability to take information from multiple sources (including researching and citations, interviews, existing content, etc.) and create a clean editorial draft for an editor
- Superior attention to detail and commitment to quality
- A basic understanding of content principles related to structuring for readability, writing for an audience, and content as part of a content journey or funnel moving the reader toward actions
- Fluency in English and ability to write fluently in varied styles for different audiences
- Excellent communication skills, particularly for communicating clearly with remote colleagues and documenting work via company processes, tools, and databases
- A genuine love of writing!
As a Content Writer, you will live the Twilio Magic values every day:
- WRITE IT DOWN: Create well-researched, topical, clean, well-written, and compelling content drafts in conjunction with editors and our editorial calendar. Most of your time will be spent within the editorial process: researching, interviewing, writing, working with editors, making revisions, assisting with publishing via our CMS and documenting in our databases—and learning a lot, hopefully!
- DRAW THE OWL: We’re building a new content property and content journey within the existing marketing ecosystem at Twilio—there’s no playbook, so you’ll be part of helping the team ‘draw the owl’ and figure out what to try, what works, and how to document and replicate successes while always improving.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: You’ll also contribute to building an editorial “center of excellence” to help disseminate writing, editing, style, voice, and tone expertise and best practices across the marketing org. Additionally, you’ll be part of a team—our small content team, the larger Solutions Marketing team, and then our Marketing organization and partners in Sales beyond. Our team is focused on empowering everyone on the Go-to-Market org to access high-quality content resources to accelerate their work, and amplifying their expertise as contributors to our content—all of which you’ll help us do well.
- NO SHENANIGANS & DON’T SETTLE: The quality bar for our content should be high, and you’ll be part of helping us ensure it is.
Twilio is best-known for our cloud communication APIs for SMS, Voice, Video, and Authentication amongst our developer target audience—but this language doesn’t speak to business leaders. As Twilio continues our massive growth and expands our capabilities to market and sell to enterprise companies, we see a massive opportunity to reach out to this new target audience, and our language and story needs to adapt.
Twilio technology has been at the forefront of a communications renaissance for more than a decade, helping companies leverage communications to drive exceptional customer engagement. Now we want our external-facing content to reflect our place in that customer experience revolution.
Our team is on a mission to educate, inspire, and enable the next generation of business leaders to innovate and differentiate through customer experience. Our content, properties, and related campaigns will become the engine driving brand awareness, developing education around CX challenges and solutions, and accelerating understanding of Twilio solutions for our new business target audience.
This position can be remote, located anywhere in the U.S. The Solutions Marketing team is currently 50 percent remote, and the Content team is 80 percent remote. This role includes minimal-to-no travel expectations, though will come with the opportunity to attend trainings and planning sessions several times a year.
You will also get to experience a company a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.