The Content Writer is a critical thinker with verbal acuity who uses written storytelling and creative writing skills to contribute to brand and marketing projects. This position supports five revenue channels and product development through ability to write succinctly as well as develop longer form stories.
This position supports and contributes to the Ten Thousand Villages mission by
Creatively shaping and sharing the stories of our products, artisans and the fair-trade movement in order to engage customers and grow sales.
- Designs and writes copy for branding, product and marketing materials and initiatives, including promotional & editorial emails, print & digital ads, website content, blogs, product launches, in-store signage and new initiatives.
- Uses excellent researching, writing, and editing skills to produce engaging content that clearly explains product functionality, product creation process, artisan impact, or other unique features connecting a customer or donor with Ten Thousand Villages product, mission and values.
- Writes creative, custom and preferably SEO optimized blog posts each month. Additionally, re-purposes older blog posts by editing and SEO optimizing them before re-publishing.
- Collaborates with the Brand & Content Marketing Team on the development of creative ideas, effective concepts and messaging strategies. Makes recommendations regarding product storytelling for various customer segments.
- Performs additional duties/responsibilities as requested which contribute to the position’s success and the mission.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Marketing or Journalism or equivalent experience
- Demonstrated, strong long-form and short-form marketing writing skills
- Basic SEO knowledge
- Experience in, or proven knowledge of, social media marketing and content creation
- Assertive, creative team player with strong organizational skills and a sense of urgency
- Ability to work independently and practice good judgment
- Ability to articulate clear, concise, and compelling creative ideas, strategies, and thought processes
- Retail, product or fashion background a plus
- Basic knowledge of inbound marketing strategies a plus
- Knowledge of fair-trade and experience communicating complex cultural ideas with nuance and respect
Types of Interaction (internal)
- Revenue channel leaders and colleagues – E-Commerce, Company & Board Store Networks, Wholesale and Advancement
- Brand & Content Marketing and Merchandising Teams
- Other departments and colleagues throughout the organization
Type of Interaction (external)
- This role routinely uses standard office equipment, requires close visual acuity, frequent typing, and both hearing and talking abilities. While the role is largely sedentary, occasional bending, lifting of up to 10 pounds is necessary.
- This job operates in a professional office or home office environment and is not exposed to adverse environmental conditions.