If you’re tired of writing “fluff” or promoting products you don’t align with (we’ve all been there), keep reading…
If the idea of creating content that’d make mom proud – and change her life – excites you, keep reading…
And if you want to work alongside and massage ideas with some of the best writers in North America, keep reading…
If you made it this far, this ad may be the most life-changing thing you’ll read in 2021!
AlgaeCal is one of Canada’s fastest-growing companies. Why the growth, you ask? We offer something no other company has: a natural, clinically-supported way to increase bone density in people who should normally be losing bone every year. And it works so well that we guarantee customers results as proven by their before and after bone scans.
Our products are truly amazing. But we don’t see ourselves in the business of selling products….
We’re in the business of restoring the best years of our customers' lives. Years that will no longer carry the fear of breaking a rib from a sneeze.
We’re in the business of allowing people to play with their grandkids again, without worrying about taking a tumble and spending the next few months recovering.
We’re in the business of giving people their independence back when conventional wisdom says it’s gone forever.
And we want you to help us in these business endeavors.
We’re seeking a top writer who’s sincerely keen on changing lives. And a top writer who’s not afraid to delve into PubMed, scour the research journals, and produce content that’s as captivating as it is educational.
Our goal for 2021 is to reach more people than we did in 2020 with next-level content. So we need consistently gripping, comprehensive copy to fulfill this vision. Are you in?
A Day In The Life
Every day at AlgaeCal presents exciting challenges to test your skills. Every day brings opportunities to work with team members who care as much for you as they do our customers. And every day presents the chance to genuinely help people change their lives.
Below are a few of the tasks you can look forward to working from our office in Vancouver’s Mount Pleasant or remotely from your own home:
- Working closely with our Editorial Lead, Garry, to write engaging blog posts, email newsletters, print assets, and more. Test your skills with thorough, research-backed articles, newsletters geared at grabbing attention and earning that click, recipe posts, and much more!
- Besides editorial-based content, you’ll also be required to put your direct response skills to the test, writing copy to drive traffic, generate leads, and convert those leads into customers.
- Poring over scientific journals to discover exactly what the science (credible science, that is) has to say on a number of health topics you’ll be writing about.
- Collaborating with our close-knit marketing team to organize and work on the big-ticket projects that will drive AlgaeCal to new heights in 2021. For example, National Osteoporosis Month is approaching, and we’ll need your help with our content campaign.
- Supporting our SEO team to reach more people than ever before by writing thoroughly-researched, genuinely helpful content the search engines will love.
- Petting our office Weimaraner and valued team member, Buddy (he usually makes his rounds of the office just after lunch.)
Working at AlgaeCal is stimulating, fast-paced, and rewarding. And just like any job, it can have its challenging moments. But one thing it will never be is boring.
What Kind Of Person Will Crush It In This Role?
Besides being humble, hungry to prove themselves, and a pleasure to work with, our writer needs to have some important skills. If the following sounds like you, please get in touch:
- Solid, persuasive writing chops that make your words cut through the clutter. You know how to grab your readers’ eyeballs, focus them on your headline, lead them to your first sentence, and keep them hanging on your every word to the very end. Direct response writing experience will be requisite.
- Familiarity with scientific papers and summarizing the findings for the layperson. Previous experience writing for a health company is an asset, but we’ll teach you the difference between causation and correlation, how using absolute risk can skew a study’s findings, and why a double-blind, placebo-controlled study is the gold standard.
- Organized (you can find every article you’ve written from the past two years in Google Docs) and detail-oriented (you’re a stickler for grammatical errors, and proofreading is second-nature).
- Positive attitude and energy that fits with our company culture. We hire a certain type of teammate, so you'll find there are no “cases of the Mondays” here!
- Exceptional writing and editing skills (obviously). For example:
i) You know the difference between an em-dash and an en-dash; and when to use them!
ii) You understand the difference between active voice and passive voice.
iii) You can point out run-on sentences when you see them because run-on sentences are a common problem in most writing that many writers don’t pick up on, and it makes it a real pain for their readers to understand what they’re trying to say when they write that way.
- Familiarity with Wordpress, Google Analytics, Search Console, and SEO tools (SEMrush, Wordtracker, Majestic) is an asset, although not required.
As you can see, we’re looking for a writer who can write compelling copy and educate at the same time. You must be able to do both of these, because if readers get bored early on, why would they continue to read on?
What Will You Earn?
Let’s agree on salary and paid vacation once we know what you offer, but our goal is to pay above market rate for your unique skills.
You’ll Also Enjoy The Following Benefits
- $2000 flexible employee health benefits package
- Family style team lunches on Fridays and birthdays with tasty, home-cooked organic food (when the world returns to normal)
- Annual team trip to Los Cabos, Mexico, and other team trips and events which you are eligible for after one year of employment. This amounts to another week of paid vacation plus we cover hotel, food, flights, and entertainment
- The opportunity to advance your skills by attending conferences, and joining exclusive writing training programs
And above all, you’ll join a team that you’ll never want to leave. Culture is everything to us. Yes, we work extremely hard to change as many people’s lives as possible. But we know how to have fun and reward ourselves too.
As soon as you step through the office door you’ll notice it. The sense of a team who thoroughly loves working together and having one another’s back. You’ll see it on the balcony at lunchtime as the AlgaeBuds swap stories and jokes. You’ll feel it during the monthly team-bonding events (like laser tag, barbecues, and yoga classes).
This is a special place. And we’d love to have you join us.
How To Apply
So, do you have what it takes to become the next member of team AlgaeCal?
Job opportunities like this don’t come along often, and we’ve got a lot to offer our successful applicant. So, to make sure our future Content Writer is the real-deal, will be a great fit, and will thrive at AlgaeCal, we ask a little more than your run-of-the-mill
If this sounds like a position for you, please respond to this advertisement with your resume and cover letter. Please, read carefully:
1. Write a cover letter addressing:
- Why you're the best Content Writer for this role. Give quantifiable examples of related achievements.
- Describe why you fit perfectly with our values. Read them here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1deCCJZ6tiDiOSlrW0UdCuMVahzPBs/view
- What's the toughest challenge you’ve ever overcome in your life? How did you overcome it?
- What are the last three books you’ve read?
- What do you do for fun?
2. Explain what you’re doing now for a job:
- If you don’t have one, explain why.
- If you have one, explain why you’re looking elsewhere.
This cover letter is your opportunity to showcase your skills. Don’t waste it!
3. Upload your cover letter and resume:
- Ensure that your cover letter and resume are saved and sent as one file.
Yes, our hiring process is challenging, but it’s our way of selecting the best--and your way of ensuring your AlgaeCal teammates are tops.
Click the “Apply Now” button on this page and upload your cover letter and resume.
Note: Please include your cover letter WITH your resume in one document. Applications without a cover letter will not be read! Also, be sure to include links to your portfolio/examples of your work.
We are looking to hire as soon as we find the right person, so act quickly and you can also expect a prompt response.