Empower Work is a national nonprofit on a mission to create healthy, equitable workplaces where employees are valued, supported, and empowered. We believe that when people thrive at work, communities, companies, the economy, and our democracy, thrive. To reach that, we need to dramatically shift cultural norms and expectations within workplaces. And we need to radically transform how we support people at critical, opportunity-altering moments.
Our approach fuels positive change in three key ways
- Our text line provides immediate, confidential support for under-represented and under-resourced workers, with emotional and economic outcomes that keep them on an opportunity pathway,
- Our trained peer counselors utilize their training and skill development in thousands of U.S. workplaces, and
- Aggregate, anonymous data and storytelling from the conversations can inform new approaches, tools, trainings, and policies and change narrative norms for systemic workplace change.
This role is a unique opportunity to be part of building the voice, viewpoint, and culture of content to help us reach 3M vulnerable workers in the coming 5 years. Of those we support, 56% identify as a person of color, 78% identify as women, and 40% identify as lower income. We hear 'the only' a lot from those we support.
You’ll join a small, nimble, collaborative, creative, and independent team as well as a community of driven, accomplished professionals who are passionate about making workplaces across the U.S. healthy, equitable environments, rich in opportunity for everyone.
About the Content Strategist and Writer Role
Location: Remote (we particularly encourage those in MT, CT, and ET timezones to apply)
Time: Part-time (40% or 16 hours a week)
Salary: $25,000-30,000 annually depending on experience
This is currently a part-time position, flexible to certain openness within an individual’s schedule, with the possibility of growing in commitment over time. With current organizational needs and capacity, we envision this as a 40% part-time role, or roughly 16 hours a week. The position may be based anywhere in the U.S.. The role reports to the Executive Director.
Empower Work’s Content Strategist and Writer will be responsible for deeply understanding the needs of vulnerable workers that Empower Work supports and leading the strategy and creation of content to help reach those workers. This may include digital content on our website to improve SEO, placed content on other sites or platforms, and other outreach for workers. In addition, we can only reach those workers with a solid pipeline of volunteers, and funding/revenue that may involve content work supporting other marketing materials from volunteer blogs to pitch decks to training sales materials.
- Hold deep understanding, respect, and appreciation for the workers and communities we serve
- Establish strategy to guide content creation and decisions that may include:
- Gathering information about priority audiences
- Creating content strategy frameworks
- Establishing metrics for success
- Create useful, usable content for Empower Work users that may include:
- Collaborating with stakeholders including team, volunteers, advisors, board, etc to understand org needs and voice
- Developing content creation processes and editorial workflow
- Creating and leading editorial calendar, frameworks (incl. content templates and goals for voice and tone)
- Creating and/or incorporating SEO guidelines and recommendations
- Creating content to best reach vulnerable workers and working with community to include their involvement in content as well
What We’re Looking For
- 7+ years of experience with content creation, curation, and editorial planning
- Demonstrated success increasing SEO and conversions with key audiences
- Understanding of data and analytics to inform content strategy
- Demonstrated resourcefulness and creativity in reaching audiences
- Empathetic, curious, collaborative, and positive mindset
- Interest in and commitment to Empower Work’s mission to build healthy, equitable workplaces
You’ll thrive as the Content Strategist at Empower Work if...
- You are an eager and brave learner comfortable trying new things in service of continuous learning, improvement, and innovation.
- You find joy in collaborating and helping others, and aren't shy about asking for help when needed.
- You enjoy variety and adapting within growing, distributed organizational environments.
- You’re proactive and do the work, as well as offer your own perspective to do things better (we love ideas!).
- You are a self-aware and conscientious communicator.
Hiring, supporting, and empowering a diverse, inclusive, collaborative team is at the core of our mission. We strongly encourage people of color, first-generation Americans, first in their family to pursue higher education or join a new industry, people with disabilities, members of the LGBTQ+ community, and women to apply.
Empower Work is an equal opportunity employer. This means all qualified applicants will receive consideration and will not be discriminated against people because of race, ethnicity, sex, age, religion, national origin, marital status, pregnancy, personal appearance, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, or political affiliation.
Ready to apply?
If you share our values and our enthusiasm for empowering people to thrive at work, we’d love to review your application! Instead of a cover letter, we ask you to submit your resume and answer three questions to share a bit more about you.
Note: You'll need valid U.S. work authorization to join us.