If you’d love to work from anywhere according to your own schedule, read on. Wonderful Wanderings is a high authority travel blog with a great deal of content that needs a little lovin’. I (Sofie, the founder) am looking for someone to join my team of remote workers as a Content Optimizer. This position is great for someone who’s detail-oriented, highly organized, and good with words. Bonus points if you have some basic SEO experience but if not, don’t worry, I will gladly teach you my entire process.
About Us/Who We Are
Still with me? Cool. If you’re wondering what kind of content you’d be working on, have a look at the blog. It contains experience-based itineraries as well as practical travel information for independent travelers.
Our goal? To help them plan a stress-free trip and save them hours of research by sharing all they need to visit a specific destination. If we do a good job, they stick around (ad money!) and book something through our affiliate links. We’ll occasionally also introduce them to some of our partners and work a lot with tourism boards.
Our clients will need us more than ever when the C-who-shall-not-be-named lies down and having content about them rank high in Google is one way we – you? – can help them.
Speaking of content, ours is fluff-less and so are we. We appreciate direct communication, idea sharing, and asking all the questions. We also value flexibility and initiative.
“But what does that mean?” – Okay, okay, I got you. It means that:
- I will be short and to the point (unless I’m writing a job vacancy, apparently). It’s not because I don’t like you, it’s because I respect your time and mine. If you need lots of chitchat throughout the week, I’m not the best person to work for, but I will be there whenever you need me.
- So send me all of your questions. I prefer answering 10 a day to put you at ease over getting half-done work back because you didn’t want to bother me.
- Sometimes I forget things. You can call me out on that.
- You’ll have deadlines but whenever you do your work is up to you. Want to do everything in the first week of the month? That’s fine. Want to spread it all out? Also good.
- I founded Wonderful Wanderings to help anxious over-organized people like me travel. I learned as I went and I definitely don’t know it all. If you think there’s a process we could improve or you have a great idea, please share.
- I can’t do it all and that’s exactly why I’ve slowly been hiring people over the years. I’m not a micromanager. That’s why I need someone who’s super organized and minds the details. This position is right for you if you want to own it and there will definitely be opportunities to expand your role.
Now, let’s talk specifics.
About the RoleYou’ll be responsible for all content optimization on Wonderful Wanderings. We’ll start with a specific category of content and will move on to other categories as time progresses. If you’ve settled nicely into this position and want a new challenge, there’s the option of managing the site’s optimization strategy and/or contributing to the creation of new content.
We think long-term and want to hire someone who wants to grow within the company.
We use Asana to assign tasks and detailed processes you can follow to perform your tasks. Communication happens via Asana or email. We store files in Google Drive. For your position specifically, you’ll be working with SurferSEO and WordPress.
I’ll be the one assigning you your tasks and you’ll be reporting directly to me. I’ll also be the one training you when you get started. Oh by the way: share your favorite dessert in your cover letter.
Ideally, you’re able to start straight away.
Who You AreAs mentioned a few times now, you need to be detail-oriented and highly organized. Aside from that, this position has a few more requirements.
We need someone who:
- Is good at managing their time and respecting deadlines
- Has good writing skills (if you’ve noticed that I used “good” in two consecutive sentences, that’s a good great sign) – you’ll have to add and update content
- Has flawless English grammar and spelling
- Is comfortable working remotely
- Is intelligent and able to think for themselves
- Values quality over speed – yes, really
It would be great if you already know how to use the following tools, but if not, I can train you:
- Google Drive
- WordPress (creating and updating posts)
Also nice to have but optional is a love for travel.
This is a freelance position. Any nationality is welcome and you can be based anywhere but you do need a reliable WiFi connection. You can work whenever you want. Ignore my emails on the weekend but please get back to me within 24 hours on weekdays.
What’s in it for you?Pay is negotiable and will likely be on a monthly basis per agreed-upon number of posts to optimize. After a paid trial period of three months, you’ll get access to courses and books on SEO and writing so you can keep honing your skills.
There is the chance to grow in a more comprehensive role which includes taking strategic decisions and working with me directly on the creation of new content.
I’m looking forward to your application,