Lifewire is looking for a remote substantive editor to join our growing team. A Lifewire editor wears two hats: writer and editor. As a writer, you will edit to produce clean copy, ensure the article flows logically, and fill holes in coverage. As a substantive editor, you'll revise and augment existing articles to ensure they are up-to-date with current versions of software and services in order to improve the user experience. For example, when software is updated, our How to articles will need updating to add in and explain new features and workflows.
This is a remote position, but applicants must live within the United States and be able to commit at least 20 hours per week (with a maximum weekly commitment of 40 hours). The successful candidate must provide at least two samples of edited copy that clearly demonstrates expertise with relevant technology subject matter. Ideally, this will be in the form of 'before and after' samples that show us how you not only correctly line edit but help writers improve copy using your own stellar writing skills/suggestions. You may also submit writing clips along with your editing samples if you wish. Successful candidates will be able to pass a short technical editing test. The rate is $25 per hour.
About Your Contributions:
- Review existing articles on a wide variety of consumer technology topics and revise content in accordance with project instructions
- Identify and update outdated material, including noting where visuals or videos are outdated or no longer accurate
- Identify opportunities to proactively improve content by restructuring, strengthening sourcing, incorporating visual elements, and more
- At least five years experience editing in the consumer technology space (ideally consumer-friendly, actionable articles)
- Extensive knowledge in two or more of the following: online services (social media, shopping sites, banking, etc); Office-suite software including graphic design programs (ideally all versions on all platforms); email programs; expert knowledge of macOS, Windows, Android, iOS, and/or Linux; smart home products; internet and networking; car technology; digital cameras; home theater; gaming; 3D; internet security.
- Comfortable with content management systems
- Detail-oriented, deadline-focused, and independent
- Bachelor’s degree required; Advanced degree a plus
Dotdash brands help people find answers, solve problems, and get inspired. We reach over 90 million people each month, more than 35% of the U.S. online population, according to comScore, and are one of the largest content publishers on the Internet. Dotdash brands collectively have won more than 50 industry awards in the last year alone, and are among the fastest-growing in their categories. Our brands include Verywell, Investopedia, The Balance, The Spruce, Lifewire, Byrdie, MyDomaine, TripSavvy, Brides, Liquor.com, TreeHugger, Mother Nature Network, and ThoughtCo.
Please be aware of fraudulent recruiters offering opportunities at Dotdash. Note that any correspondence with a member of the Dotdash recruiting team will come from a @dotdash.com or a [email protected] account belonging to a Dotdash Recruiter. If you are in conversations for a job opportunity and wish to confirm its validity, please reach out directly to [email protected].
Dotdash embraces inclusivity and values our diverse community. We are committed to building a team based on qualifications, merit and business need. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.