BioNews Services, a digital news company dedicated to creating communities for patients with rare diseases and their caregivers, is looking for members of the NMO community to join our freelance staff of patient and caregiver columnists on Neuromyelitis News.
A BioNews columnist is a patient or caregiver who shares about life with rare disease. Through personal essay or column format, they write to inform, inspire, empathize, and advise. Their audience includes patients, caregivers, medical teams, and researchers. Columnists also write to a general audience interested in learning how to improve society’s understanding and treatment of disease/disability communities.
All columns are reviewed with a critical eye by professional editors who will work with columnists to smooth rough spots and help the columnist grow as a writer. This is a contract position.
Please note you MUST be a member of the NMO Community — patient or caregiver — in order to apply for this position.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Fulfill weekly deadlines as agreed upon with director of columns.
- Communicate efficiently with manager and editors.
- Submit 400-800-word drafts that adhere to BioNews policies and procedures.
- Aside from exceptions, drafts should not take more than 45 minutes to edit.
- Fulfill revisions as requested by editors in a timely manner.
- Complete training assigned by BioNews HR.
- Prior experience with writing for an audience.
- At least three months’ direct experience with having or caring for someone with NMO.
- Caregivers must be direct relatives, guardians, or spouses.
- Experience in being professionally edited for publication.
- Experienced in generating a blog or column.
- Participation in support groups, internet forums, or community groups relevant to NMO.
- Fundamentals of how NMO works.
- The content needs or wants of the NMO community.
- A swift and independent learner of internet technology.
- A creative mind capable of regularly generating unique content that appeals to target audiences.
- Time management.
- Advanced creative writing.
- Experience in using WordPress for content creation.
- Experience with the Slack communication app.
- Internet access and use.
- Native or fluent English writing and reading abilities.
BioNews Employee Value Proposition
Be part of a special organization whose passion and culture are all about its patients. Contribute to helping our patient communities have a better quality of life. Learn about healthcare. Learn about rare diseases. Learn about publishing. Learn about research.
Grow personally and professionally through direct engagement in how we deliver our services. Bring your passion to advocate for those living with rare diseases. Help spread awareness about the daily challenges that most will never have to face. We “live our culture”. Join us and make a difference. Work remote in most circumstances. We are very proud of the fact that we employ actual rare disease patients who contribute to our business.
Who is BioNews www.bionews.com
BioNews Services is a leading online health, science, publication, and research company that exists for one purpose: to serve the patient living with a rare disease. We do this by connecting them with current, trusted, and relevant news and information. This content is delivered regularly and provided by actual patients as well as professional journalists, writers, editors, scientists, and experienced media executives. Our end customers are truly patients living with rare diseases.
Our Company Culture
BioNews has a professionally led culture that is based on our foundation to support individuals affected by rare diseases. This means we operate as a professional organization that includes a real-life Vision, Mission, and Values. We treat our associates as professional individuals.
In a professional environment, we understand and believe our actions are better when done professionally through processes that include communications, strategic planning, business planning, organization development, leadership development, learning and development, performance management, and other human resources processes. We practice consultative management and value collaboration and firmly believe that “none of us is as good as all of us.
To empower, inspire, and champion the patient voice as the preeminent resource that serves to engage, inform, and connect the global rare disease community.
We connect rare disease communities by providing a unified and distinctive space to engage, educate, and empower those affected by rare diseases to help improve patient health and quality of life.