Are you looking for the chance to create compelling content for a burgeoning brand at the intersection of technology, food culture, and design? What about writing sharp, thoughtful copy for web, email, social, and mobile platforms? Any experience there?
Great—we have the perfect opportunity for you!
ChowNow is unique among tech startups in the restaurant space. We power branded online ordering systems for independent restaurants across North America – via websites, Google, Instagram, and through branded iOS and Android apps – and we do it all for a reasonable monthly fee regardless of order volume. We operate this way because of our belief in being fair, sustainable, and equitable with our restaurant partners. And the same goes for our workplace.
Diversity, teamwork, and mutual respect are among our core company values. And we pride ourselves on giving our teams plenty of opportunities to make their mark. To date we’ve created over 18,000 apps for our restaurant partners – something that’s never been done before in our category. And as we expand to new markets, further spreading the word about the ChowNow difference, those opportunities to create, build, and grow will only increase. If this sounds like the kind of workplace, and the kind of mission, that appeals to you, we’d love to talk.
Learn more by checking out our reviews on Glassdoor (they’re excellent). Together we can preserve neighborhood flavor, one restaurant at a time.
About the Position:
As a writer for Brand & Product on the design team, you will help guide the voice of ChowNow through Product Marketing, Product experience, B2B, B2C, brand marketing efforts, and internal communications. You will write inspiring copy that conveys the humanity behind our mission and the power behind our suite of technology solutions and services. You will craft fun, smart, and culturally relevant headlines that speak to ChowNow culture. And you’ll collaborate with other teams—a lot.
Working with our Product Marketing and Growth teams, you’ll create content that helps convert leads into customers. We have a voracious appetite for data and insights, so you’ll be working with Product Management and Engineering, too. We believe in creating delightful, intuitive experiences, and we pay particular attention to the execution.
This role currently reports into our Director of Content & Voice, and sits on the Design Team. You will work from our Los Angeles Headquarters and remote.
Specifically, you will:
- Turn ChowNow brand ingredients into engaging and impactful content, messaging, and experiences.- Take technical information and data points and synthesize them into compelling copy for different audiences.- Partner with our design team to create innovative new services and experiences for our customers and their consumers. - Learn from customer usage and leverage feedback and data to continually iterate, innovate, and evolve the product.- Work closely with Designers, Engineers, and Product Managers to define new content opportunities.- Communicate your thoughts and decisions effectively to the Executive team.
Within 30 Days You’ll:
- Complete our ChowNow onboarding (Los Angeles or remote) where you’ll learn the ins and outs about ChowNow and our products.- Observe 4 product demos with the sales team to better know our customers.- Complete your first wave of short-to-medium writing assignments- Demonstrate an ability to meet deadlines, ideate quickly, and apply copy guidelines.
Within 60 Days You’ll:
- Begin to evolve and create within ChowNow’s Brand Voice guidelines.- Define the metrics you will use to measure the success of your future pieces of communications.- Communicate your strategic decisions with stakeholders and the broader team.
Within 90 Days You’ll:
- Talk to customers and the support teams to gain empathy for customer problems, needs, and mental models.- Develop and explore new content and experiences for our brand message to be conveyed.- Help develop a robust copywriting process that allows for maximum alignment.- Ship your first medium-to-large project.
You Should Apply If:
- You have a minimum of 6 years combined experience working at an advertising agency, digital agency, or in-house creative department.- Your portfolio shows the use of strategic insights and writing skills within B2B, B2C, editorial, advertising, digital campaigns, film, and video projects. (No PDFs or Downloads)- You live and breathe engaging content.- You’re a highly motivated person who is self-directed and pays careful attention to detail.- You’re an outstanding team contributor who is willing to give and receive feedback.- You have the ability to conceptualize and communicate your ideas to stakeholders and evolve new initiatives within the organization.- You have an understanding of what makes excellent copy, messaging, and experiences.- You have experience iterating rapidly and frequently delivering to evolve a product or piece of content, especially within consumer products, SaaS products, mobile applications, social, editorial, and interactive experiences..- You have a deep understanding of how to frame a problem and work with the team to synthesize new solutions. - You obsess over details and are excited to polish until your work is perfect.- You take risks, you are not afraid to fail, and you learn from mistakes.- You’re always looking for inspiration and staying relevant with the latest apps, design trends, shifts in culture, innovations in communication strategies.- You are full of creative ideas and capable of validating them through rapid prototyping and user testing.- You are an engaging communicator, presenting ideas and concepts in a concise and thoughtful manner.
About Our Benefits:
- Competitive compensation- Ongoing training and growth opportunities- A best place to work" winner multiple times where we focus on creating a great employee experience- Rock solid medical, dental, and vision plans- 3 weeks paid vacation; paid holidays; we expect you to work hard, but still enjoy your personal life- 6 weeks of baby bonding time for all new parents (within the first year of birth or adoption), 6 Weeks of Paid Pregnancy Leave- Employer-contributing student loan assistance program- Commuter benefits (including Uber Pool)- Employee Stock Incentive Plan- Quarterly Industry Speakers Series- Quarterly Tech Events (Women, LGBTQ, Diversity, Inclusion)- Consistent & fair leadership: we’ll share info, set clear goals, show you respect, and treat everyone fairly- Enough freedom to spread your wings while still holding you accountable- Fully stocked kitchen and cold brew on tap
As one of ChowNow’s core values, “Celebrates Diversity”, we are committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment. ChowNow is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.