The San Antonio Report is a nonprofit, nonpartisan digital news organization that is member-supported. We cover all that is best about the city: its personalities, neighborhoods, businesses, culture, cuisine, arts and entertainment. We tackle its problems and challenges, too, and spotlight innovative solutions.
The San Antonio Report began in 2012 as the Rivard Report, a blog created by a husband-and-wife team that has grown into a thriving online news enterprise with a staff of 22 talented, passionate journalists and nonprofit professionals. Our work, which includes a year-round calendar of civic engagement events, is all about San Antonio and the surrounding communities.
The San Antonio Report is seeking an editor to pitch and edit stories while also spearheading the creation, growth, and evolution of the San Antonio Report’s suite of newsletters. In this newsroom-based position, the ideal candidate will edit daily stories; write punchy, SEO-rich headlines; and then use those same skills to create a voice in newsletters as the lead writer.
This editor will work with the Audience Growth Director and other newsroom stakeholders to execute a clear strategy for the flagship newsletter that is informed by news judgment, audience insights, and analytics. This editor also will oversee the San Antonio Report’s social media presence across various platforms.
We have an efficient and energetic work culture that embraces the spirit of strong journalism. While we want to be first, we care more about being right and telling stories that provide the reader with a deeper knowledge of the subject or the event. This position reports to the managing editor.
- Editing news, feature stories for content, style, and grammar;
- Crafting strong attention-grabbing headlines, utilizing the best SEO practices, and adding the right related links to keep readers engaged;
- Understanding and interpreting analytics tools such as Parse.ly and Google Analytics to understand the needs of our audience and report on campaign performance for all newsletters;
- Write, curate, and/or oversee a daily newsletter, a weekly roundup newsletter, and a periodic evening newsletter that create a habit-forming experience with compelling stories, standing features, and elements of audience interaction;
- Oversee the look and function of the San Antonio Report website, keeping it up to date and appealing;
- Oversee the San Antonio Report's social media presence, using those platforms to explore opportunities for engagement;
- Coordinate training and access to third-party tools, such as Mailchimp;
- Collaborate with other members of the Report’s audience team, including other editorial and business team members.
- This is a mid-level position that requires at least three years of experience in editing and curating content online for a news organization with proven examples of success;
- In-depth understanding of analytics tools, Mailchimp, Wordpress block editor, social media publishing tools, audience trends, and content shaping to best appeal to a San Antonio Report reader;
- Excellent editorial judgment;
- Strong writing, copy editing, line editing, headline, summary and photo cutline writing, and organizational skills;
- Knowledge of SEO best practices and AP Style;
- Organized, technical problem solver and quick decision-maker;
- Enjoys working in teams and has excellent interpersonal skills;
- Ease with/ability to learn new technology independently and quickly;
- Comfortable adapting to changes in the evolving industry and thrives under pressure;
- Self-motivated, competitive spirit and assertive personality with the ability to balance multiple competing projects and priorities;
- Strong social skills, able to work with writers and editors to present their content in the best way;
- Schedule flexibility to include night and occasional weekend work;
- Spanish fluency is a plus.
- Bachelor's degree in journalism or related field.
This is a full-time, exempt position and is based in San Antonio, TX.
Compensation for this position is competitive and commensurate with experience and skill set. Some of the benefits employees enjoy are 20 days of personal time off, nine paid holidays, health benefits, a 401(k) plan, and paid parental leave.
We’re committed to building an inclusive newsroom that represents the people and communities we serve. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply.
Application details: Applications will be reviewed as they are received, and the deadline to apply is Oct. 1, 2021. To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter, re?sume? and list of three references to firstname.lastname@example.org and include “Audience Editor” in the email subject line.