The Ottumwa Courier is looking for a journalist ready to move into the editor ranks.
Our associate editor serves as the paper’s No. 2 editor and is a vital member of our team. The Courier’s newsroom is a collaborative environment that seeks to use each other’s strengths to build our product into the best it can be. This position manages our special publications and helps ensure we’re publishing a quality news product daily.
This role is an excellent next step for journalists that are looking to gain supervisory responsibilities, while continuing to build their clips and experience toward their career goals.
We are searching for someone who is a proficient writer, an organized self-starter, a collaborator, and clear communicator. A bachelor’s degree in journalism or similar field is preferred, but we’ll consider those who have on-the-job experience in lieu of a formal degree.
Other ideal (but not required) qualifications include proficiency of the AP Stylebook, accurate typing skills, experience with journalism ethics and standards, and prior experience in print journalism.
This position does require a valid driver’s license, safe driving record and reliable transportation.
Key Functions and Responsibilities of This Position Include
- serving on the Ottumwa Courier’s Editorial Board;
- reporting on local education and other stories as needed;
- managing the entire process of our magazines and special publications, including story assignments and overseeing layout and print production;
- oversee obituaries and celebrations announcements;
- editing stories from other staff members to ensure they meet the Courier’s expectations for quality;
- helping reporters improve through coaching and editing;
- and creating a daily news budget, our framework for producing our print product and e-edition with our satellite design center.
To apply, send cover letter explaining your qualifications for the position, a resume, and 3-4 samples of your best work to Editor Kyle Ocker, firstname.lastname@example.org. Any questions about the position should be routed to the Editor via email.
The Ottumwa Courier publishes a print newspaper on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays to more than 5,000 readers. We also publish electronic-only editions on Wednesdays and Fridays. Our website, www.ottumwacourier.com, is meant to serve as a daily news product for our readers and community.
We also provide a wide range of special products and publications, including lifestyle magazines, chamber directories, and resource guides.
The Ottumwa Courier is owned by CNHI, LLC, which publishes more than 80 titles in 21 states. The Courier newsroom works closely with its nearby sister newspaper, the Oskaloosa Herald.