You’re a skilled editor who is passionate about progressive politics and avidly follows breaking news and social media responses to it. You enjoy fast-paced tasks, are adept at editing news stories, and are experienced with WordPress.
You’re a wordsmith skilled at composing headlines. You also have a keen eye for photos and imagery to accompany stories, and have a background in (or eager willingness to learn) fact-checking. You have broad familiarity with a wide range of topics including national politics, activist movements in the U.S., judicial processes, U.S. foreign policy, and more.
You are deeply devoted to the values of racial, economic, social, environmental and disability justice, as well as intersectional feminism, anti-imperialism, prison abolition and anti-colonialism. You’re interested in increasing the reach of independent, nonprofit news amid an increasingly corporate media landscape, and you’re ready to use your skills to further Truthout’s mission.
Truthout is a nonprofit news organization dedicated to providing independent reporting and commentary on a diverse range of social justice issues. Since our founding in 2001, we have anchored our work in principles of accuracy, transparency, and independence from the influence of corporate and partisan forces.
Truthout is committed to a vision of journalism in pursuit of justice. We understand that courageous journalism can and does drive social transformation. Through our work, we reveal systemic injustice; provide a platform for powerful ideas; elevate authentic storytelling; and develop journalistic practices that align with our dedication to accountability, equity and integrity.
We believe in building the world we want to live in — within our organization, through our journalistic work, and through our work’s impact on society.
As Truthout’s Assistant Editor you will assist a small team to produce multiple daily news stories on a quick timeline. You will generally be responsible for editing, and in some cases fact-checking, several pieces (no longer than 500 words apiece) on the top news of the day, each weekday.
You will also be responsible for publishing Truthout’s weekend edition one weekend a month and helping with additional editing and fact-checking tasks as assigned. (When you work a weekend, you’ll have two days off during the week.)
This is a fully remote, work-from-home position, and applicants are welcome from anywhere in the United States. BIPOC, women and LGBTQ candidates and candidates with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Truthout offers a competitive salary, benefits, and a friendly and open work environment.
- Willingness to take on various tasks as assigned
- Can commit to a regular schedule that falls within Truthout’s primary working hours (9am to 5:30pm ET)
- Ability to work one weekend a month
- Well versed in a wide range of topics including electoral politics, U.S. foreign policy, activist movements in the U.S., judicial and legislative processes
- Possesses excellent editing skills and the ability to produce high-quality work quickly;
- Super-reliable, deadline-driven and punctual
- Responds with flexibility to unanticipated requests
- Enthusiastic and knowledgeable about Truthout’s work
- Thrives working in remote environments, and enjoys working both independently and as part of a small, collaborative team
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with a very high level of detail
- Able to adapt and multi-task
- Experienced working with both Word and shared Google documents
- Able to communicate in a friendly, thoughtful and effective manner via online chat, phone and email
- Reliable access to the internet during specified work hours
- Has at least 2 years of experience editing and fact-checking
- Familiar with WordPress
- Familiar with the broader landscape of online news publications
- Industry-leading benefits package
- Fully remote workplace
- Generous paid time off
- Monthly internet and phone stipend
How to Apply
Email a cover letter, resume and two relevant references to [email protected] with the subject line “Assistant Editor application” by end of day June 11, 2021.