About Blavity, Inc.: Blavity, Inc. is a venture-funded technology and new media company, founded in 2014 around a simple idea: enable Black millennials to tell their own stories. Today, we are home to the largest network of platforms and lifestyle brands serving the multifaceted lives of Black millennials & Gen Z through original content, video and unique experiences. The company has grown into a market leader for Black media, reaching over 80 million millennials per month through our growing brand portfolio which includes: Blavity News, Blavity Politics, 21Ninety, AfroTech, Travel Noire, and Shadow & Act. Assembled of passionate, high-energy, and focused rock-stars, our Blavity, Inc. Team executes with our values at the forefront of mind: Love of Community, Transparency and Communication, Collective Responsibility, and Fail Fast. Blavity, Inc. is continuously looking for new team members to help us continue to scale, cultivate our community, and advance our strategic direction.
Job Summary: The AfroTech Branded Content Writer is responsible for researching tech and business industry-related topics (combining online sources, interviews, and studies) and writing editorials that reflect partner campaign objectives, including; program launches, brand awareness, and recruiting. In collaboration with the Brand Content Team, this position involves utilizing familiarity with the organization's mission to inspire ideas and write stories, conducting research, interviewing sources, and reviewing industry trends. The ideal candidate thrives in a fast-paced environment, is open-minded, persistent, quick, and effective at editorial composition, and is an excellent storyteller.
This 1099 contract position reports directly into the VP of Creative Strategy.
- Write engaging tech/business editorial pieces, as assigned, with guidance from Blavity’s editors and external partner representatives
- Meet assignment deadlines and follow content requirements in terms of style and project specifications
- Curate questions and conduct interviews with sources
- Attend bi-weekly writers' calls
- Education: Preferred BA/BS in Journalism, Business, or Communications; or relevant work experience
- Experience: 1-3 years of experience writing and reporting for a digital business and/or technology publication
- Technologies: Fluent in Microsoft Office and Google Suite
- Experience in business analysis and reporting
- Experience writing pieces on tight deadlines
- Ability to work on multiple projects with different objectives simultaneously
- Knowledge of the tech industry and tech editorial writing
- Ability to craft creative story angles that resonate with readers
- Must possess a strong sense of journalistic ethics
- Impeccable grasp of the English language, including idioms and current trends in slang and expressions
- A healthy appreciation of GIFs and Black culture
Details: This is a remote (1099) contract position, averaging up to 20 hours per week for up to 3 months. Candidates will be expected to be available to address editorial feedback and edits in a timely manner to ensure prompt delivery to key stakeholders.
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter online at BlavityInc.com/Careers.
Blavity is committed to creating a diverse environment free of discrimination and harassment, and building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. Blavity is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, HIV Status, veteran status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.